Alternate Space Marine Chapters for Original Campaign

Wolfboy
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Alternate Space Marine Chapters for Original Campaign

Postby Wolfboy at 08 May 2009, 10:21

Okay... I'm playing Soulstorm. I'm tired of the Blood Ravens. Frankly, I want to use some of the pre-Heresy traitor chapters in the campaign, just for something different.

Problem is, for the life of me, I cannot figure out where the files I need to edit to change the whole thing are found.

So... Could someone kindly explain it, step-by-step?

I've downloaded and attempted with the texture tool, after doing some reading on the Forums. i'm more than happy to fiddle to try to make it work. However, I can't even find a solid starting point, let alone getting it to work.

Help? Please?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Alternate Space Marine Chapters for Original Campaign

Postby IBBoard at 08 May 2009, 14:20

The campaign works in one of two ways - either it uses RTX files (which are texture files that use a pre-coloured DDS image) or it uses the RSH files. IIRC Dawn of War used the RSH, but all of the subsequence games use the RTX files (because there are multiple RTX files - normally eight - and so they can mix groups from the same race on a single map).

The files you want will be in the "art/ebps/races/space_marines/texture_share" folder of one of the SGA files (so you'll need something like the SGA Explorer). As long as the files you edit are in the right place (which most SGA apps default to) then the game should automatically load your changed versions.

In terms of finding out whether it is the RSH or the RTX and which RTX you need to edit, I'd recommend extracting the RSH and all of the RTX files, then extracting the textures from the files. Make an obvious mark on the RSH and on the Blood Ravens RTX (but make it a different mark to the one on the RSH), recompile them and run the game. You should be able to tell which it is using based on the mark you can see.

Telboy made a mod to put the Lamenters in the Dawn of War and Winter Assault campaigns. I think DoW used the RSH and Winter Assault used the RTX. You might be able to get some hints from that :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Wolfboy
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Postby Wolfboy at 08 May 2009, 21:31

That helps a lot.

Thanks, IBBoard.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 May 2009, 09:41

Keep us posted on how it goes. I've never bothered updating the campaign myself, so if you can give us some useful information as to which files are used etc then that'd be great.

We can host the files if you want to release them as well (although changing the textures won't change the subtitles and voices, which is why Telboy released the mod to at least change the subtitles).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)