Bobahat
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

14%

Skins & Mods in Windows Vista

Postby Bobahat at 10 Nov 2008, 12:32

Hey everyone.

I have been making skins for DoW, WA and DC for ages without any problems. I have now bought a new computer, which has Windows Vista (rather than XP) and now I am having problems.

Usually, placing .wtp files into the correct folders within the DoW folder would change the look of skins in the game, but in Vista it doesn't change anything.
The skins remain as default.

Does anyone know how to make custom skins work in Windows Vista?

Thanks in advance. :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Skins & Mods in Windows Vista

Postby IBBoard at 10 Nov 2008, 18:44

The game itself should be what controls additional data loading. From what I can find of the system requirements then Vista might not be officially supported. If it does run then that's a bonus.

Unfortunately I can't help too much. The only Vista machine we have is my wife's laptop, so I can't really test it out. Unless Vista has some system that can tell the difference between a game loading its core data and a game loading additional data then putting everything in exactly the same places as you did under XP should work. If not then it's yet another reason to avoid Vista!

Sorry I can't be more help.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Radulykan
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

16%

Postby Radulykan at 04 Jan 2009, 20:56

Turning off Uac should allow you too place the wtps in their respective folders.

Other than trying that I do not know?

I hope that helps :) .

Later and have a good one :D .

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jan 2009, 18:59

You shouldn't need to turn off the UAC, should you? I thought Windows just prompted you and you had to either confirm (if you're running as an admin) or enter the admin's password. Once the files are there I'd have expected them to load as normal, unless Vista has introduced some strange "permissions" system that means they can't be read.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 08 Jan 2009, 20:57

theres one more reason to why vista sucks huh.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 Jan 2009, 10:36

The idea behind UAC is good, it's just the implementation and the large body of pre-existing applications that don't take it in to account that's the problem. I think a bit more proof is needed before we completely write Vista off for Dawn of War (although I won't be installing it any time soon!)