I need some help...

Shedeo
1st Year Cadet
1st Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

40%

I need some help...

Postby Shedeo at 22 Sep 2008, 04:40

Alright. None of you know me here, and this is my very first post on this forum, as I'm sure that everyone can see.

As the title reads, I am in need of some assistance. Basically, I'm no model-maker, and I'm not really a skinner. When it comes down to it, I might have the ability to skin, but I usually lack the patience to do so. That being said, thanks to everyone for their awesome contributions! I've been stumbling around here for a while, and I found some awesome stuff.

The short of it is, I want to try and change the Imperial Guardsman. Basically, I'm not a huge fan of their current appearance. I know for a fact that there is a secondary model for them, the standard Imperial Guardsman unit, the one that seems to randomly appear in the unit when you reinforce it. I was hoping that there was an easy way to effectively replace the typical look with that of this masked look for all of the standard guys. Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance. :?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: I need some help...

Postby IBBoard at 22 Sep 2008, 19:43

I'm not actually sure what controls it at the moment. I thought it was in the RGD file (Relic Game Data) for the unit troopers (which are in the EBPS folder, seemingly for entity blue-prints) but I can't see anything in the Guardsman one at the moment.

As far as I remember, though, there should just be a probability in one of the files and you need to change that so that it always shows the helmeted head. Depending on what file it is in determines whether you can make the change and play online or not.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 24 Sep 2008, 15:13

that would be in the model files if i know right, thats where all the costumization is (which the model got) so it probably controls the custom parts appearing.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Sep 2008, 19:50

I've not worked with models too much, only textures and RGD (data) files.

If that's the case then it sounds like you might need the Object Editor from Relic, but I think the OE needs source files and not the compiled files from in-game (i.e. you export your source to an output file and to make changes you have to re-export from the source). Again, I've not worked with models so it's possible that the OE can edit existing models.

The advantage of it being in the model file is that they're art files and you should be able to change art files without it breaking online play.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Shedeo
1st Year Cadet
1st Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

40%

Postby Shedeo at 26 Sep 2008, 20:37

Hey, thanks for the pointers so far. I might make a backup of the files and do some digging. Like I said, I'm not a modeler/skinner, but I can basically figure stuff out on my own once I'm pointed in the right direction.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Sep 2008, 07:38

I'm not much of an artist either, but it's amazing what you can do with a bit of patience and the correct effects :)