Great Harlequin

Birchtree
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

22%

Great Harlequin

Postby Birchtree at 28 May 2008, 00:15

Been fiddling around with the Harlequins mod. This is a retexturing of the Great Harlequin's mask:

The old one, for comparison:

It's a great mod, and fingers-crossed that they'll finish it one day.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Re: Great Harlequin

Postby stfas at 28 May 2008, 10:11

well to release it you need to get permission (because they made it, not just reskinned an already made unit), so before you release it, try to get permission first, otherwise they might take it in the wrong way (some people do that)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 May 2008, 11:36

Definitely a prettier face. I can see what they're going for with the original, but it doesn't quite look Eldar-ish enough IMO. The only thing with the new mask is that while it is nicely detailed, it doesn't quite fit with the clothes. I think that's mainly a colour thing, though.

As stfas said, if you work on any texture that isn't from Relic/Iron Lore (including original DoW textures that have been modified by other people) then you need to ask permission from whoever made the texture or made the change. Relic/Iron Lore are the exception because they have an "unofficially official" approval for people to make changes to their skins.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Birchtree
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

22%

Postby Birchtree at 28 May 2008, 16:13

I won't be releasing this, it was just a bit of messing around. There's plenty wrong with it -- the colours don't match the jacket, as you point out, and the nose doesn't quite match up with the model. I think the original was a valiant attempt at creating a Mask of Fear, something I doubt the DoW engine would ever be capable of doing justice to, unfortunately. So yeah, I'd be going the more Venetian/Commedia dell'Arte route, were I to do more of these.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 May 2008, 19:11

Now you mention it, the nose is a little bit low. The Venetian is more the lines I'd expect of Harlequins, possibly with a more vibrant twist for being Eldar and extravagant.

I'd be interested to see what those things on his head will be once they're done as well. Hair, perhaps?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Birchtree
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

22%

Postby Birchtree at 28 May 2008, 19:57

Yeah, they've given him a bihawk. Dunno if we'll ever see it completed though -- the Eldar Craftworlds mod is taking precedence, and nothing has been heard of that in a while (as far as I can tell anyway).

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 May 2008, 10:03

It's always a shame when mods fall by the way-side, but I do always get the impression that people don't necessarily realise how big an undertaking a mod is and how slow work can go when they first start it. Hopefully they'll release their models and textures for other people to use if they can't complete it.

Birchtree
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

22%

Postby Birchtree at 29 May 2008, 14:05

A lot of these mods are hugely ambitious, yep. I keep wondering if a better approach would to be release smaller content as plug-ins for the various races, though perhaps the DoW engine just isn't suited to that. Also, for a lot of people modding DoW has clearly become the preferred way to 'play' it. If their stuff happens to get a final public release, it's almost a bonus.

I just took a look at the Adepta Sororita Witch Hunters mod. Wow. It blows Iron Lore's attempts out of the water.