Is this possible as easy or hard?

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Is this possible as easy or hard?

Postby Ravage777 at 11 May 2008, 04:22

I just seen the review for dow 2 you posted and i wont be interested.
Not only will they be adding a much higher luck value with destructable enviroments because all that eye candy is distracting and obstructing to the view but if they continue the trend of making each installment harder to mod for than the previous one. Then it will be a bitch to get lots done before they meet the release date of an expansion which changes things to even more unneccesary hardness of modding capability. :shock:
Theres a few more clues as to why it wont be as fun to play with as this set of DOW stuff but im not posting for all that.
Thanks for the heads up though. :wink:
I downloaded a mod that grants veterancy to heroes and units thinking it would be a good equalizer for the comps instant micromanagement and instant knowledge of available resources and how to use it.Not to mention the comp sees the entire map at the same time.Chess computers make over a billion calculations a second and thats only chess.It takes us measly humans time to move around the mouse and the screen to micro-manage mutiple location battles at once. :?
I figured this plus multiple bases and outrageous honor guard would be equalized by this veterency mod for hard play.
The mod is super cool but it lowers your base stats before it adds as you gain your levels of veterancy.
This forces you to go really slow in the march and the comp then flanks you if your playing multiple opponets on hard because all your stuff is half stuff until they earn some levels.
Im wondering would it be difficult to take the mod and just slightly adjust it so it didnt cut all your stats from the get go.
That way you feel like your actually earning something not just doing a new type of trudge march?
Then as you gain your stuff from veterancy it feels like your becoming ultra-elite and glowing hero.
Not just like a baby learning to walk. :cry:
Couldnt you just change some value that stops the cut on the units stats from occuring and then as you earn more veterancy levels it adds the bonuses without starting you off so pitifully weak to begin with?
If i can do it i will and give it for all to share and enjoy no strings attached since its good for single player and skirmish multi-player. :wink:
Before i go and talk to the author of the mod since im not sure he will agree,he may like us trudging more instead of playing hard with a fighting chance against multiple comp opponets. :roll:
I would like to know if something like this sounds fairly easy or would it be a process i need to become very schooled to do and is very error prone and time intensive.
You know theres only 2 really good rts game genres that really didnt change for a few installments and the other (C&C) wasnt really that moddable and just isnt as in depth as this one is so unless THQ out does themselves with DOW2 then this set of four games is a set for the ages. :clap:
Im sticking with this one for a good while to come because its really nice and its workable and well based on a tabletop game.
I can hold this in my hand,set it on my desktop,play it on the computer and then read a book or 2 about it and then use in a face to face game with friends. :lol:
No other game can say all that and im suspecting that GW wont keep modding accessible forever because everybody strives for the control factor. :twisted:
Since im going to try to keep this game for a long while is it possible to take the awsomeness of a veterancy upgrade and keep it without scarificing half your stats for that ability coming out of the gate?

ThankYou
Sincerely
Ravage777

P.S- Sorry i talk so much about single player but i have noticed a disturbing trend occuring over the past few years that everybody and thier mother talks smack about how good they are but whenever you play them with utter domination after a few victorys all you ever get is drops from the game and mysterious connection outages and im just real tired of spending hours upon hours in a game room to maybe get one full game played amidst all the drops and connection drops per day when i can rock the computer for a few good full games without sitting in a chat room doing relatively nothing. :(

P.S#2-It is kinda an oxymoron to say im giving you 40 levels to earn after level 1 but im cutting you to negative 40th level first. :roll:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Is this possible as easy or hard?

Postby IBBoard at 11 May 2008, 11:02

It depends what you can get hold of and how it was done.

If you can get the LUA files (text files) that the original modder made the mod from then changes are quite easy. If you can only get hold of the RGD (compiled binary files) then there are still unofficial tools to edit them, but I find them a bit more awkward as they keep refreshing the data. Unfortunately I can't remember the tools name at the moment, but I used it to make the UberPainter mod for Soulstorm before Soulstorm was released :)

Also, as was mentioned in the other thread, get permission first before you modify someone else's mod ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby Ravage777 at 11 May 2008, 20:51

Thats so awsome!
You made the uber painter!
Thats the one that gave me the idea to do this because when i got it thats what i thought it did.
What happens though if the author of the veterancy mod says i cant change it.
I still can right but only if i do it for myself.
I just cant share it?
That seems kinda selfish to me that somebody would even say no if they make it free but ive seen selfishness for no reason before so it wouldnt suprise me.
It would still be okay to do it for my own personall enjoyment,correct?

Sincerely
Ravage777

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 11 May 2008, 21:09

actually you can release it but you would be called a thief if you didn't get the original makers permission, and its not selfish, its just that people would dislike if you just took their works and edited it and then released it, they would be kind of offended, and if you keep it for your personal enjoyment, then yes you don't need their permission, i myself edit things for my own enjoyement (mostly because i can't play online)

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby Ravage777 at 12 May 2008, 12:11

I was thinking about this today and i am seriously considering offering either the author or somebody else 200$ to make the soulstorm tactics mod so it will keep veterancy that you earned from map to map by spawning them with the veterancy you allready earned and not chopping your stats in half from the get go.
Im going to try to fix the colors scheme for soulstorm here pretty soon but this other thing im pretty sure is beyond me and its worth 200$ to me.

Ravage777

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 May 2008, 20:19

By the letter of the law (assuming they have some form of rights when it came to an actual court case, even though it is based on Relic's work) you probably can't strictly even do it for your own use. If no-one knows then there's not a lot they could do, though.

As for not letting you, it's not necessarily selfishness as a desire to control how their work is handled. You might do something that they hate, and then they would have their name associated with it because of your credit. Alternatively, someone might make some tiny changes to a mod that took months to make and then just leave the credit for the original as a footnote, completely disregarding the amount of effort that was put in.

As for what I made, check this list for a full listing of all of my DoW releases ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)