IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Problems editing Chaos Marine texture

Postby IBBoard at 16 Mar 2008, 18:36

The rhino/predator chassis would probably work well with chevrons in the recessed areas on the front and back slope. If you wanted to tackle the Defiler then you could put chevrons on the plates around his claws. If they have any reasonable flat/metal areas then the Obliterators would do well and still be generic with chevrons.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Seaglen
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

90%

Postby Seaglen at 16 Mar 2008, 19:42

have uploaded the iron warriors predator now.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Mar 2008, 08:18

I'll try to approve it tonight :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 17 Mar 2008, 13:30

yeah, thats wyhere i've done it on them with My chevrons, the recesses, both on the track sections, and on the front plate for the rhino and pred, the leg plates for the defiler.

P.S. is there any way to get, for Gimp 2.2, any more patterns, or add a picture from online to the pattern section? i want to get a better chevron texture, and the easiest quickest way to add one solid pattern is, predictably, with the select an area then fill with pattern. if i could get some cooler more realistic chevrons, it would be easy to reskin it because i'm practically copy/pasting the same texture in various places.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Mar 2008, 19:09

I just did a quick search and according to this topic then there's a few places (including DeviantArt) and the Gimp supports images as patterns as well.

Googling for "yellow black warning stripes" turned up some pictures, but the best one on the first page has a license (in the site terms and conditions) that means you can't really use it without licensing it from them.

The other alternative is a bit of fun with "grunge brushes", which is basically what I did with the stripes on this site :)

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 18 Mar 2008, 11:21

cool i'll have a look for better chevrons then. thanks

Seaglen, i really like the predator, just one critique, on both the marine and predator, theres just a bit too little chevrons... i think the marine could use the whole shoulderpad chevronned, not just the thin strip of it, and for the predator, as IBBoard said, in the recesses in the armour plates I.E. under the viewing windows on the front armour, and by the smoke stacks. thats really it though, its brilliant otherwise.

Seaglen
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

90%

Postby Seaglen at 21 Mar 2008, 18:15

yeah that might be a good idea.
i think it might be a bit harder to get the chvrons on the entire pad, but i will give it a go.
may try a rhino at some point.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Mar 2008, 18:24

The problem with the shoulder pads tend to be that they're warped when they're wrapped. It can be possible to get something reasonable on there, but it takes a bit of work to warp the shape on the flat texture in the right way that the model will 'un-warp' it.

Previous