IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Problems editing Chaos Marine texture

Postby IBBoard at 28 Feb 2008, 13:04

Sounds like a very strange error. Even if a file isn't an EXE then I'd expect it to at least show an "open with" window. The only other options are shortcuts and the command line. That's a discussion for another topic, though.

As for releasing the textures, there's a bit of a balance between the two ways. Releasing them separately means people have to download lots of separate files to get all of them, but releasing them as a pack means that if people only want to re-skin their Marines and not their vehicles then they're getting a lot of textures they don't need. It's up to you which you do - we can handle either way.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 28 Feb 2008, 17:50

i was considering just releasing hem Seperately, but all at the same time, so they come in the same places in the lists of both sites.
i might get broadband soon, and if i do, i will consider actually doing Both, all seperate, and a pack of all. if thats alright, of course.

Another idea is seperate packs of collections of skins, I.E. an infantry pack, with marines, possessed, Raptors, and Asp Champs reskins, a HQ pack, with the Lord and Sorceror, a Vehicle pack, with the Pred, Defiler, anbd rhino, and a Building pack, with all the Buildings

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 28 Feb 2008, 18:24

i don't really see why you would do that, just pack them in one package and they can take the ones they want too, otherwise it would just go waste space with the same skin in two or three packages...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Feb 2008, 19:21

He never mentioned duplicating across packages (except to do single releases and a full pack). The advantages of individual downloads are that people can take just what they want and that people on dial-up aren't sat waiting for a full pack when they just want one item. Those on a limited monthly transfer (I'm on a 2GB package) can also get more content they actually want rather than getting large packs they mainly don't want for a couple of textures.

I think an infantry, HQ, Vehicle and Building pack is a good idea. My original Halved Marines were released in that way and it combines the best of both worlds.

It probably would be best to release textures in just a single method, though, rather than having them available individually and part of a pack. It saves people downloading them for the sake of downloading them when they think they're different for one thing.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 28 Feb 2008, 19:29

yeah. i think when i have finished them i will release them in packs. on another topic, besides Chevrons, can you think of anything (SIMPLE!) i can add to things? i mean its not like most of it will get much competition, there really are very few skins for Chaos things besides the Marines, but still, its a bit plain. i cant think of anything else that i could do though. (Bear in mind that i had great trouble figuring out how to select an area, fill it with a pre-set pattern, and Convolve it lol

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Feb 2008, 21:18

I think chevrons cover most of the Iron Warriors' additional style while still being moderately generic and not using their badge. A few well placed bits of chevron (like I think Hangar-8 has on his Terminators' power fists) can work quite well, though.

As for filling areas, that's just technique. Once you've worked out what area you want to fill with the chevrons you need to select it (either a square selection or the polygon lasso is normally best, depending on the shape of the area) and then you can fill from there. Layers can also be quite helpful so that you're not doing anything destructive to the base texture until you save and flatten it.

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 28 Feb 2008, 21:21

thanks for the advice, i'll try Layering it
Yeah i agree, its obviously great for IW to have Chevrons, but i do personally think that it is Generic also, as a lot of Legions do have them, especially on Vehicles

Oh, and i finished the Predator and troops building today. i hope to be done in a few weeks.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Mar 2008, 19:52

How's the texturing going? I was looking forward to seeing and hosting them :) I'm sure there's a lot more Iron Warriors fans and others who would like the chevrons.

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 15 Mar 2008, 13:33

yeah, its going good, i've been making progress, i've finished the Aspiring champ, Rhino, Possessed, started the obliterators, and done a few buildings. i've had comp troubles, so thats slowed me down a bit, but i'm back on track now :D
one thing i thought is to release the packs as they are finished, rather than all at once. this means i could upload the Vehicle pack any time, i'll finish testing them, then i'll try and upload it. i got broadband a few days ago, so it should be way quicker :D
on a side note, i want to reskin the Heavy bolter upgrade for CSM squads, is there any way to do that? i cant find which file its in.

again, my work so far isnt great, but then it IS my first skinning project, and i plan to update it if i get any more ideas or greater skill.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 15 Mar 2008, 15:12

ill see if i can find the texture for the heavy bolter

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Mar 2008, 18:10

The heavy bolter (and all other heavy weapons) are generally in the same file as the unit that wields them. Check the Chaos Space Marine's texture and there should be some area (possibly as small as 32x32 pixels for parts of it) that is the heavy bolter.

The way I find easiest to track parts down is to use gradients on the _default layer. Basically, open the layer, do a gradient fill of a rainbow gradient diagonally across the image, save and compile the texture, look in the Army Painter at what colour the area you're trying to find is, quit the game, look at the area that is the colour you saw, undo the gradient fill, if you can't see it then do a selection and a constrained gradient fill (doing it at 90 degrees to the original helps sometimes) and repeat on smaller and smaller areas until you track it down.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 15 Mar 2008, 18:12

ok i'll try to do that

Seaglen
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

90%

Postby Seaglen at 16 Mar 2008, 01:18

Hey Yautja, ive released an iron warriors skin for the chaos marines through this wonderful site. you are welcome to grab anything from that if you like (just give a credit in a readme).
am a big iron warrior fan too, and it sounds like your skins will be good!

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 16 Mar 2008, 12:44

Damn Man that just makes me feel inadequate... that is AWESOME! way better than my one... how did you get the chevrons to look like that? mine just look like i've stuck a sticker on :wink: yours look so damn realistic and professional... are you going to do more Iron Warriors stuff? cos if you are, i'll give up now :P that skin is brilliant. i love the helmet and beady red eyes too... very Iron Warriors.
how did you do the chevrons though? if you arent going to do any more, i think i'll kick out the marine of my skinpacks, cos yours is so much better, but if you plan to stop at just the marine, i think i'll do the other units, and if you could tell me how you did those chevrons, i could try and make them look as good as that.

Seaglen
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

90%

Postby Seaglen at 16 Mar 2008, 13:58

The chevrons are actually from this website!, with credit to IBBoard.
i just put them on, and shredded them a bit to ake them look a bit more worn. the helmet was tricky, but it uses the grey knight as a base.

i may make some more vehicles at some point maybe a predator, but may be a while. keep up the skinning, as i am looking forward to seeing the vehicle sets from you!

PreviousNext