IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Problems editing Chaos Marine texture

Postby IBBoard at 25 Feb 2008, 12:55

Just as soon as the Internet connection at work goes somewhere I'll check out that file. If it doesn't manage it by the end of my lunch break then I'll check it out tonight.

[edit] From a quick look at those files then the problem is that your _dirt and _default image have rotated. I do know that the TGA file format contains data about the origin for its coordinates (bottom left, top right, etc) but I'd have thought that The Gimp should have kept the original origin.

I've just opened the _default.tga file up in Gimp at work and even then it is upside down, so it doesn't seem to be that Gimp is showing it one way but storing the coordinates a different way.

Try making sure that the image is the right way up and then when you save it check that the origin is set as the bottom-left (or try it not set as bottom left - I can't remember off the top of my head which is correct). Alternatively, get the original texture, open it, edit it, only use Save, not Save As, and it should always default to its original settings.

Hopefully that'll solve the problem.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 25 Feb 2008, 15:20

well i fixed it for you, is this how its supposed to look like?:

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5466 ... 000xi1.jpg

EDIT: too big image, made it into link instead

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 25 Feb 2008, 16:24

oh my Stfas, i may just have to kiss you.
that is such a help, the endless problems were beginning to crush my brain. I dont suppose you could post that on a site and give a link?
so that is just making it so its not rotated? I.E. thats what the one i made should look like if i wasnt useless with saving files?

on a quick side note, is there any way for me to make the Iron warriors skin work with mods? it only worked in standard DC...

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 25 Feb 2008, 18:36

it worked for me in a mod (the screenshot is taken with the mod) you just need to put it inside dawn of war - dark crusade (or whatever your folder is named)/(mod folder)/data/art/ebps/races/chaos/texture_share/

and heres link: http://files.filefront.com/Iron+Warrior ... einfo.html

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 25 Feb 2008, 23:41

YAY thanks mate. i'm still doing a bit more work on the texture itself, but now that i know what i was doing wrong, its much easier.
thanks for all you're help IBBoard and Stfas

anyone know how to contact hangar-8 to ask for permission to upload this to places as i started off his skin?

Edit:
i finished both the Chaos marine reskin, Here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/804785/

and a Defiler reskin, Here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/3ff1c3/

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Feb 2008, 12:55

You can get to Hangar-8 either through his forums or his contact page

Do you want somewhere better and less advert-filled to host those files?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 26 Feb 2008, 13:58

i was thinking if i get Hangar-8's approval, i would upload em to Dowfiles and maybe to Skins at hive world terra if thats ok.
i think they are good enough to go on for now, so i think the Marine and defiler skins are good enough to upload somewhere proper

on a side note i want to try Reskinning EVERYTHING chaosy with chevrons, starting with the Pred, rhino, and mebbe the Sergeants and Lord but i dont know how to get to files that arent custom ones
i did try the ones that the Tutorials tell you to, but the things you need to download to get em to work, the .net framework, wont work with my comp, dunno why, they just crash immediately, so is there another way to get to the other skins without that or will i have to get Custom skins and ask the creators for permission to use it?

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 26 Feb 2008, 15:30

you should try reuploading the defiler texture... it was 0 kb

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 26 Feb 2008, 16:26

o.0 dunno why it did that, i'll try it again later. thanks for the heads up

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Feb 2008, 19:03

The crash wouldn't happen to be this one would it? The FAQ tells you how to fix it.

The other main alternative is the Mod Packager from Relic that is in the Dawn of War Mod Tools, but I'm not sure if it lets you extract single packages and I think the entire download is about as long as the .Net framework (although it may be shorter).

Also, for future reference as it is a bit late now, it is best to get the permission of the original creator before you start a project just in case they say "no" after you've done a lot of work. Hangar-8 is normally okay with re-use of his textures because he just improved Relic's existing work, but you'll still need to get a definite "okay" from him.

TBH I'd go for "Skins@HWT and possibly DoWFiles" rather than "DoWFiles and possibly Skins@HWT", but that's because of personal bias and a dislike for the Filefront Network.

Good luck re-skinning everything!

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 26 Feb 2008, 20:09

its not that one, it simply wont start, but the Dowmodtools one works great

I was mainly planning to use it as a personal skin as i didnt expect it to come out remotely good, and thought it would make you're eyes bleed.
as it came out kind of alright i thought again, but next time i will ask permission first.

i only said Dowfiles first because i already have a few maps on there and know how to upload to it, still not sure how it works for Skins@HWT so i still have to look that up, thats why. i personally prefer Skins@HWT too ^.^

Just quickly, to edit the Predator skin, what do i need to do with the Mod packager? the Readme that came with it is precisely cack.

Here's an updated Defiler skin, hope this one works
http://www.filefactory.com/file/60a5b3/

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Feb 2008, 18:48

The Predator is (IIRC) made of three textures, all of which will normally have "Predator" in their name. I think there's normally two chassis and a turret texture or something similar.

Submissions are normally through the Add Downloads form. Make sure you've read the Submitting your work article so that you include everything you need. If you want to submit a pack that is over 2MB then drop me a message and I'll give you an email to send it to.

As for my tools not working, it'd be useful if you could tell me what the issue was so I can see if I can resolve it. I've just decided I might as well give up with this being an "only skinners can post new threads" forum, so either post the error in a new topic or drop me a PM/email with the details in.

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 27 Feb 2008, 20:52

thanks for the info on the Pred, i'm gonna get to work on that later

i think i will complete all my IW skins and then upload them all seperately, just so any updates and new ideas i get on other models can be applied to the others

with the tools, there really isnt any point, as it simply wont start. no error message, no hourglass, it just acts as if i didnt even click it. i have had this before with other programs, so it is likely that the error is on my side, my comp does dumb things like that.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 28 Feb 2008, 06:47

did you try double pressing?

Yautja

Postby Yautja at 28 Feb 2008, 12:13

lol yes, its to do with recognization errors on my PC of whats a program and whats a simple file. doesnt matter anyway, dont need it anymore :)

PreviousNext