What are WTP, RSH and RTX files?

panzerfaust54
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

10%

What are WTP, RSH and RTX files?

Postby panzerfaust54 at 23 Sep 2007, 21:29

Now I am a little confused. I am not sure I understand the difference between the two types of files that BBCard mentioned, the WTP and RSH. I am not that familiar with the in and outs of the file types, so please forgive the silly questions. I guess I am lucky, I have had no real issues with textures in any of the three, DoW, WA, or DC. The only texture problems I have really ever had were attributed to some decals that were missing on some custom maps. As far as anything else, I am not aware of any problems. So again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge and asking a probably basic question.

Max

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: What are WTP, RSH and RTX files?

Postby IBBoard at 24 Sep 2007, 08:43

BBCard? :D

I thought I had something somewhere that mentioned what the different file types were, but on a quick skim then it seems I don't. Since it's a separate topic I'll make it a new topic so we do have a reference.

Basically, RSH files are the bottom level of texture. Each model references one or more RSH files and the model will always use them as a last resort. The effects in the RSH also still apply once the WTP or RTX is loaded over it, but the base texture is hidden.

If you are playing a skirmish then DoW will look for a WTP file with a matching file name with "_default" appended and use that for team colouring.

If you are playing a campaign then DoW will default to RSH files, but you can also use SCAR scripts as part of the campaign to specify RTX sets to use. RTX is similar to RSH in that it is a DDS file with a fixed colour scheme, but it only contains the one image where as RSH contains the base image and some optional effects (specularity and self illumination).

Hopefully that clears things up a bit :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

panzerfaust54
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

10%

Re: What are WTP, RSH and RTX files?

Postby panzerfaust54 at 24 Sep 2007, 21:32

That truly made quite a bit of sense to me, now that you have put it in to a language that I can understand! :clap:

So if I understand this correctly, you can manipulate the skin colors of the units even in the campaign as well, by the use of SCAR scripting? Fasinating! I was not aware of that ability. That is if I interpret this correctly.

So if I were able to create such a script, I would be able to play the campaing with pretty much any skin set I desire. Is this close to target?

Max

Sorry about that I read that wrong I did mean to type in IBBoard, see another case of hands ahead of the the well you get the idea.... :oops:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Sep 2007, 06:05

You can alter it in DoW and WA (and any custom missions) using SCAR, but I think DC uses a slightly different method because it has the texture version stored in another text file and when people have tried editing that then the game or campaign has crashed (can't remember which).

Alternatively you can use the Texture Tool to build a set of RSH files with team colouring disabled (means it won't load WTPs or RTX files) and use the Pattern Switcher to load them before you play the campaign. The only downside with that is that if you have multiple chapters in the campaign missions then they will only use the one RSH texture rather than different RTX textures.

It definitely should be possibly to alter the textures, though. TelBoy did it for DoW and WA, and DC still uses the same texture files for everything. Like I said, it's just a case of finding out which numbered set to replace.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

panzerfaust54
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

10%

Postby panzerfaust54 at 25 Sep 2007, 23:09

That is most intresting, I like other have our own favorite chapter that I for one would like to see run the campaing. I am going to do some more prowling around the forum and see what I can learn on this. Thanks awfully for all the help on clearing up that for me :clap:

Max the unconfused now :D

inklimited
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

6%

Postby inklimited at 12 Nov 2007, 06:43

"Self Illumination"?

Where can I find an example of this plz? I've been planning to do a speculation CSM when I find some time to Paint.NET out, but seeing this adds some more thought to my skins...

panzerfaust54
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

10%

Postby panzerfaust54 at 12 Nov 2007, 08:28

I would be intrested in that myself. I dont think that I am "all together" enough to attempt it, but I would not mind giving it a shot myslef.

Max

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Nov 2007, 16:15

IIRC the Chaos Lord has self-illumination on his head. Hangar-8's Grey Knights (available on his site) also use self-illum, I think. Basically it's just a black/white image with white being illuminated (I think).

If a model has a coloured glow then the layer glows white and counteracts the glow. If the model doesn't have a coloured glow then it isn't as obvious but can add a good bit of brightness (as Hangar-8 used it).

I can't remember too many details about it, though, just that it's an optional layer in an RSH and that I added support for it into the Texture Tool. The exact details of what it can do have been experimented with by other people.