Texture problems in Dark Crusade

Stormwalker
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Texture problems in Dark Crusade

Postby Stormwalker at 06 Jul 2007, 12:27

OK, so here's my problem... I'm running DoW-DC patched to 1.2, and I can't seem to get the skins to work. I've added them in the correct directories, both the W40K/art/ebps etc. folder, and the DXP2 alternative, and I'm starting to wonder whether it's a DC compatibility problem, despite the idea being disputed in the FAQS...

There's no problem at all when I add the skins in the original dawn of war, but no cigar in DC... I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts/comments on what the issue could be?

Or maybe I'm just stupid :P

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Texture problems in Dark Crusade

Postby IBBoard at 06 Jul 2007, 17:44

There's no problems with DC, whether patched or not. The only potential problems are the odd commander skin, as the new equipment means that some of the old textures are no-longer used but can be re-named to make the DoW version DC compatible.

My "list of questions to solve obvious problems", just to clear them out:

• What is the exact path you put the files in?
  • What files are you using?
  • Do you have any files in the DXP2 folder?
  • Are you running any mods?

Breaking it out into a new topic.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Stormwalker
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby Stormwalker at 07 Jul 2007, 11:44

The paths I've tried are:

[Install Directory]/DoW/Dark Crusade/W40K/Art/Ebps/Race/Space_Marines/Texture_Share

[Install Directory]/DoW/Dark Crusade/DXP2/Art/Ebps/Race/Space_Marines/Texture_Share

Not sure if it's important, but I had to create the W40K path in my DC folder, while the DXP2 path was already there... Would creating the path myself affect the process in any way?

The files I'm using are WTP format (Unless I somehow missed the meaning of that question, i.e. which files am I downloading, which in that case is generally Dark Angels/SM skins. I'm an Adeptus whore lol...

I run the DoW Pro : DC edition and Induisition : Daemon Hunt Mods ATM. What I find odd is that the textures work fine when placed in the original DoW, but I've had no luck with them in DC... They're in the exact equivilant folder/path for DC, but still nadda... I even tried re-installing DC (Took me ages to find my Manual, for the keycode lol.)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jul 2007, 16:42

Creating the W40K folder structure is fine and normal. One thing I did just notice, though, is that you missed a layer out in both of them. It should be:

Dark Crusade/[W40K or DXP2]/data/art/ebps/races/space_marines/texture_share

Add the "data" folder in and it should be fine. I think the only difference between using W40K and DXP2 is that W40K is loaded by all mods since it is core DoW while DXP2 is only used by DC mods (which is all of them anyway, but you could get a situation where it isn't).

If that was just a typo, then it could be that DoW Pro is setting the textures itself. The way Dawn of War data loading works is that it starts at the deepest requirement (W40K) and loads from there. It then overrides any values in there with stuff it finds in DXP2 before overriding that with stuff it finds in the mod. So, if DoW Pro have retextured the models (or used the Closer to Codex models) then it is possible that your textures are just being overridden.

If you want to make sure they're working for a given mod then back up the mod folder and put the textures in the "space_marines/texture_share" folder of that specific mod :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Stormwalker
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Re: Texture problems in Dark Crusade

Postby Stormwalker at 07 Jul 2007, 16:50

Sorry, the data folder [i]was[/i] just a typo (I'm such a dumb-ass at times, lol)

I'll try your suggestion about testing them in the mods, thanks.

panzerfaust54
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

10%

Re: Texture problems in Dark Crusade

Postby panzerfaust54 at 22 Sep 2007, 20:19

You know, you should not feel too bad about that typo, I was guilty of doing the same thing myself. My problem was pretty much the same seems my fingers got ahead of the brainbucket.

max

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Sep 2007, 07:37

It's amazing how many people's problems are caused because they get the paths wrong. A lot of them are there going "no, I'm sure it's correct, it's identical to some other skins that are working" but then there normally ends up being something :)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 23 Sep 2007, 07:46

rofl i know my ig guard skin is right path, its dawn of war - dark crusade\ultrian\data\art\ebps\races\imperial_guard\texture_share and with the name ig_guardsmen and still doenst show up!

Bobahat
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

14%

Postby Bobahat at 23 Sep 2007, 09:45

The file should be named ig_guardsmen_default

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 23 Sep 2007, 10:40

rofl that is named i just forgot to add _default at end v.v

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Sep 2007, 10:42

If it is a WTP then Bobahat is correct as all WTPs should end _default, if it's an RSH then the original name is correct.

As for why it wouldn't show up, if your path is correct and you are running the Ultrian mod then the other main cause is that it is being overridden by something else. If it's in the mod folder then that shouldn't be an issue because the mod folder should override any files that you have extracted into the W40K/DXP2/WXP/[insert other dependency] folder and not the other way around.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 23 Sep 2007, 15:12

rofl it was ig_guardsmen_default i just removed the _default....

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Sep 2007, 08:50

What happens if you put it in the W40K version of the path? You are running the mod and the mod is loading data from that folder? (it should be listed in the .module file) Have you got any other Guard textures working before? Are there any other Guard textures in any of the folders of the other loaded mods? Is the model just showing the original texture still?

Generally, the more information you give the more people can work out what is happening other than it "not working".

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 24 Sep 2007, 13:26

hmm maybe its that i still have the cadian mark in the .rsh file v.v

and the texture is an guardsmen, karshkin, and other units that use ig_guardsmen_default.wtp and ig_heavy_weapons_default

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Sep 2007, 13:34

If you're seeing team colouring on even one part of the texture then what the model is using is the WTP for colouring. You won't see any of the base texture of the RSH when a WTP is used, so it wouldn't matter whether you had the symbols still on the RSH or not.

The specific files you're using doesn't make too much difference (as long as you've left them with the same name as when you extracted them), it's the answers to the questions I asked that would be more useful.

Next