new GW paints

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

new GW paints

Postby thesteelclaw at 23 Apr 2007, 18:51

Has anybody had any tack tile experience of the new GW foundation paints and if so what’s your opinion? Just asking because the heavy advertising in White Dwarf has got me interested. :?:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: new GW paints

Postby IBBoard at 23 Apr 2007, 19:00

Yeah, I'm quite interested in them as well (at least from an 'I wonder what they're like and how they compare' stand point, if not a 'I'm going to buy some' stand point).

I don't know if it's a similar style of paint, but Rackham's range (of which I have one - black!) is a much thicker paint as well, but I normally water it down to use it like regular GW paints. I don't know if it would be too thick to use 'neat' like the GW foundations.

If anyone wants to do a comparison then I'll gladly host it :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

Re: new GW paints

Postby thesteelclaw at 06 Sep 2007, 09:28

Well I bought a box a few months ago when I visited warhammer world for the first time. I find them as described with good coverage and shades a great basecoat for your models. Here comes the but, if your anything like me that when you paint you lick your brushes to straighten your bristles it tastes particularly bad. Also as they have a lot of pigment you need to take care cleaning your brushes. Finally don’t get coned into buying a box, as there will be shades you will not use unless you paint all armies.
Overall though I am pleased with the paints and you do use very little especially if you uses damp brushes. Buy one pot you know you will use and try them for yourself. Let me know what you think.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Sep 2007, 19:23

Sounds promising. I must confess to being a brush-licker myself. It should be safe as the paints aren't toxic, but it was something I saw a staffer doing early on and it does keep a good point on your brush :)

As for the paints, I can imagine that there might be some colours that get used far more than others in a boxed set. I'm trying to think which colour I might use most, as I don't do a solid base colour on the most prominent part of my army (I drybrush my Ork skin). I might have to look into them, though.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

Re: new GW paints

Postby thesteelclaw at 07 Sep 2007, 08:47

The Knarloc Green I find is a good base coat for green skins not the Orkhide Shade followed by a wash of dark green ink with a dry brush of Scorpion Green, or at lest it is the most satisfying to me.
What I am struggling with is rusty equipment effect as all my efforts looks well pants really, any tips would be appreciated.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Sep 2007, 18:58

I tend to use Snot Green, I think, as a heavy drybrush. From the printed colour in White Dwarf then Gnarloc does look better as a base, but it still looks a bit too grey-green for my style of Orks. Also, I only normally go up to Goblin Green. Scorpion Green just looks too fluorescent IMO.

As for rust, that's another thread ;)