big expensive models

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

big expensive models

Postby thesteelclaw at 24 Feb 2007, 17:58

Hi I have just got back into the hobby (40k) after a log absence, alcohol and girls mostly, any way I digress now that I am a family man I have started an ork army. I have always liked orks because you get loads of them, they are more interesting to paint and conversion options are limitless.
Anyway back to the reason I have posted ‘forge world’ are they worth the price tag?
Its not that I am tight or nowt, wait yes I am, its just I really fancy the look of the ork Gargantuan Squigoth.
As a painters model rather than a gamers model way I mean because I haven’t started playing again but that’s another story.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: big expensive models

Postby IBBoard at 25 Feb 2007, 10:57

A lot of the Forgeworld stuff would probably be a lot better if it was made in plastic rather than resin. At least then it wouldn't be quite so expensive in what's already an expensive hobby.

As for the Gargantuan Squiggoth he'd certainly be an impressive centre piece for an army, although it'd have to be quite a large army to include one.

From a modelling point of view it's certainly a good challenge with a great display piece (more pictures) but it depends whether you really want to paint all of that metal and skin! I don't know how well you can paint and how much you might have lost the edge after a long absence, but it'd be a mammoth task to paint one.

Personally I wouldn't spend £200 on something like that, but that's partly because I've not been out of University for a year yet, partly because I'm not sure I could do it justice and partly because I'm a skin flint and wouldn't want to part with such a large amount of cash for something that'd probably just end up as a display piece. That said, if I won the lottery then I wouldn't mind having a few pieces like that!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby thesteelclaw at 25 Feb 2007, 12:49

I am happy with my painting not to golden demon standards but I am improving on every model. :) I would post some pics but I don’t know any public servers where I could put them. :?

There are cheaper resin models to start with as the ork squiggoth looks really good for £65 so I think I may invest in something like that.

What’s your favourite GW ork model and why?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Feb 2007, 15:44

The main place people use for posting images is ImageShack.us, or Flickr.com is used by people who want online galleries more than pictures for forums. I think the main difference is that ImageShack gives you forum-safe thumbnails that you can link to while Flickr gives you pictures people can comment on. It also about matches the split I've seen - ImageShack tends to be for posting pictures to forums while Flickr is used by people alongside their blogs.

Starting with even a normal Squiggoth sounds like a good idea. He'll still be considerably larger than the rest of a normal Ork army, so he'll still provide a good centre piece, and something that's a bit easier to paint, store and field.

As for my favourite model, I'm not quite sure. I liked the new Big Mek when he came out, but I'm not sure I'd call him a "favourite". The new Ghazghkull looks impressive as well, but orks and mega armour just aren't so in-keeping in my army. I'll have to see if I can come up with anything specific.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby thesteelclaw at 26 Feb 2007, 14:19

thanks for that i have never posted pictures before
now all i have to do is figure out how to take good pics.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Feb 2007, 18:54

Picture quality depends on the camera and the focus. If you've got a camera that needs longer focus (~30cm+) then you can have difficulties getting Warhammer models to look a reasonable size while being in focus (or they're a good size but out of focus!)

If you want to post more pictures and have a personal gallery, feel free to start a new thread for them.

I do like the Sentinel conversion - Dreadnought?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Feb 2007, 18:07

I've just had a quick look at the Forgeworld Ork page and on a small scale it'd be great to have some Grot Bombs. On a larger scale a Battlewagon would look great in an army, although I'd probably rather spend the £100 and some extra time on converting my own from things like Land Raiders and other scavenged bits (even if it is a bit cliched for a Battlewagon)