GAMESWORKSHOP = GREEDY MONEY GRABBERS!

Crusader
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

28%

Re: GAMESWORKSHOP = GREEDY MONEY GRABBERS!

Postby Crusader at 28 Oct 2008, 20:59

Haven't been able to find a price drop myself, saw the notice in white dwarf about the price rises because of the world price of tin doubling, although why that should affect the price of books and paint as well (Yes they are increasing the cost of these as well) is beyond me.

Apparently the good news (cough) is that the plastic kitc aren't changing in price, but at £35 for a land raider they shouldn't have to raise them anymore.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Oct 2008, 19:28

Yeah, I already mentioned their slightly warped logic a little while ago. I can only put it down to bad wording in that they're explaining the miniature price rises more than the book price rises.

I like the idea of GW reducing some prices, but given the way they are, the way inflation is going and their general trends so far then I don't think it's too likely! I didn't realise a Land Raider was up at £35 for a full metal model. I did see Rhinos were quite expensive now, though.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Crusader
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

28%

Postby Crusader at 30 Oct 2008, 22:23

Its in octobers white dwarf (page 5). The new Land Raider Crusader/redeemer £35 and its only a muli part plastic kit according to the mag.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 Oct 2008, 13:09

Oooops, yeah, I meant full plastic! I don't collect Marines, so I didn't pay much attention to the price. I did think they used to be about £30 with metal bits, though.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Mertens
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

2%

Postby Mertens at 13 Nov 2008, 14:32

dunno if anyones mentioned it yet, but www.waylandgames.co.uk they do 40k at 25% off. (eg, 50 quid box for 37.50)

the postage isnt too bad and thier quite friendly, they'll offer you a deal for larger purchases

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Nov 2008, 18:45

I'll check them out and add them to our list of discount GW stockist.

Squig
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

26%

Postby Squig at 15 Dec 2009, 13:46

Just to stick my nose in here, I've read your budget article (excellent advice there btw) and I'm afraid, having worked for the trafford store (before it closed) my opinion on GW pricing is that their business plan needs seriously looking at with a view to lowing prices and selling more. Obviously none of us on here have access to their financial books so it would be hard for any of us to visualise the overheads in running a international business.

With this in mind, I think a general 20% lowering of the prices would attract a greater customer base and allow those of us with a avid interest to collect larger armies and a greater number of differing races.
As well as removing some of the stigma associated with the hobby generally.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Dec 2009, 19:43

Two things: 1) Small world - I used to live in Bolton, so I'd drop in to the Trafford Centre occasionally. 2) They closed it? That must have passed me by.

From what I know of the GW Staffer expenses for gaming, I'm sure it looks even more expensive now you're on the outside! That is unless GW stopped the crazy prices that one of my friends got when he worked in the Manchester store.

I wonder how much GW complains of "piracy". I know they have a section on counterfeit models on the Legal page (or used to), and claiming "pirates are ruining our business so we have to charge more" seems to be all the rage at the moment.

Given that a load of independent online stores can give 20% discounts (or more) and they'll then be making a sufficient profit on top of GW's base profit then you'd imagine they could cut the prices a bit (especially as they only seem to be going up). As you say, though, only the accountants know what the books look like. I guess staffing the shops, painting up the huge displays (which are effectively a loss per model) and to a lesser degree paying for all of the paint that the Staffers use is going to amount to a reasonable overhead, though.

alouisi2
1st Year Cadet
1st Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby alouisi2 at 17 Nov 2010, 17:48

Now i know this is a really old thread and prices have risen further but im from Australia, no i dont live in some country town there are 3 gw's in my city and the prices are mad, i play eldar and have since 5th ed came out i bought about 60% of my stuff from gw the rest from darksphere.co.uk and the 60% from gw cost more then the 40 from darksphere. on darksphere a box of dire avengers is 16pounds(about) which is 28$ here that same box from GW is 55$. i asked the other day about how a box of 10 guardsmen are 41$ and avengers are 55$-pause- these models are the same size you get the same amount in each box and there are no metal parts, the GW worker at my local store's excuse was that guardsmen were so much worse then dire avengers and so DA's are more expensive. now that ladies and gentlemen is a superb excuse don't you think :clap: :clap: :clap:

that is actually quite pathetic and there is a reason GW hasn't seen my wallet for the last 10 months since i discovered darksphere :D
and apart from spraypaint (which cant be posted) they will never see it again. :twisted:
so GW hope your happy you now have one more customer who will use your facilities and not buy any of your materials- at least from that shop specifically-

Games workshop get a life stop scamming 6 year old's parents.

oh yeah and for the guy who buys leman russ' at45$ each that is cheap as here they are 110$ each for a box of unassembled plastic

ok my rants over

apart from spraypaint!:)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Nov 2010, 19:20

In terms of spray paint, have you looked at other brands? I don't know of any off the top of my head, and results may vary, but other brands of paint pot are good, often larger, and generally cheaper. I'd imagine you can do something similar with spray paint.

As for pricing by power, I think they've always done that. The regiments in Warhammer were a consistent price, then they removed the metal bits, then the prices went up. Other than those then it was mainly about the power of the unit as much as what it was made of.

At least you've found a cheaper way of doing it, though :)

Previous