IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Cleaning old models

Postby IBBoard at 05 Sep 2005, 10:42

Anyone got any tips or ideas? TGSC and my family recently brought round a batch of models that were picked up really cheap, but were painted. Luckily most of the box consisted of a Killa Kan, Dreadnought, Stormboyz, Nobz in Mega Armour, new Ghazghkull, Grotsnik, a Zzap gun and some Gorkamorka Grots, so they're metal and won't go soft in nail varnish remover!

I've done the nail varnish remover already (a good few hours soak and then rubbing under a cold tap with some scraping with the modelling tool got rid of a good chunk of it) and now I've moved on to picking away at them now they're dry, using the modelling tool and a craft knife (carefully!) but some bits are still awkward.

Anyone have any tips or ideas on other things that work well for cleaning models of old layers of paint?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Cleaning old models

Postby IBBoard at 19 Oct 2005, 21:03

I've still not cleaned the models! I do have a trusty toothbrush now - replaced my toothbrush, so I'm going to use the old one to clean models. Note: it is not advised to use the same toothbrush for cleaning your teeth and cleaning models!

And on a useful "where to get..." not, if you want cheap nail varnish remover in the UK, try Superdrug. I just bought a 250ml bottle of their own-brand stuff for 99p! It's probably not as good quality and wouldn't be as good for your nails, but I'm trying to strip paint off models, so that's not important :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 19 Oct 2005, 22:47

Apparently something like Castrol Super Clear, its an oil remover, alledgedly cleans plastics as well, but you're advised to wear rubber gloves

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Oct 2005, 07:15

Ah, k, don't think I've got any plastics to clean but it's good to know :) All of the plastics are either not undercoated, undercoated with a single layer on the skin, or ripped to pieces as I removed them from the bodies of the Stormboyz and awaiting replacements :D

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 17 Jan 2006, 11:30

Brake fluid has also been reccommended, again, probably a good idea to wear gloves

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jan 2006, 12:12

Mine are still soaking to death in nail varnish remover :D luckily they're metals, but I put them in about a week ago, and just keep doing a few bits and then leaving the rest!

Brother-Raven

Postby Brother-Raven at 08 Jul 2006, 15:43

Something that I'm currently trying is soaking them (plastic models) in 100% pure white spirits , leaving them to soak now :D I'll let you guys know what results i got

Nope; White Spirits just damages them too much.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jul 2006, 17:39

Yeah, be careful with White Spirit and plastic. It'll work fine with metal, but plastic will melt like the paint!

I hope they weren't important models!

Brother-Raven

Postby Brother-Raven at 08 Jul 2006, 18:04

Nah, it was just one unit, which isn't all that important as i don't play, just paint.

But damnit, GW makes their own paints, you'd think they'd make their own pain stripper too XD

Can you get Castrol Super Clear (or whatever it is) in the UK? i know the name castrol but not heard about them making cleaning stuff

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jul 2006, 18:37

Super Clear is an oil remover, so they'll probably do it in the UK. Just go to somewhere like Halfords or some other motor shop that sells oil. If they don't have it then they will probably know someone who does.

As for trying new things - always test it out with just one model first, in case it goes wrong!

duckman

Postby duckman at 13 Aug 2006, 04:14

Best way to do metal is drop them in a container of paint stripper/thinners. Leave the models for a day or 2, hit em with the toothbrush and presto! clean as a whistle.
Plastic is best done with brake fluid, soak as long as you like, scrub with fairly stiff-bristled brush, repeat as required. For annoying hard to get places, scrape with dental tool of choice or piece of small gauge wire.
Make sure you do the above in a well-ventilated place or you'll be in the hurt locker in a very big way.....and try not to smoke anywhere near the paint stripper/thinners :roll: Not me, a mate of mine...idiot.

cheers
duckman

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Aug 2006, 15:53

Yeah, paint thinners and the like are great for metal, as long as you've got the ventilation! Nail varnish remover smells a bit, but no-where near as bad.

moregil

Postby moregil at 26 Oct 2006, 13:04

Okay guys/gals

For metal stripping don't use nail varnish, there is a paint stripper which is non-corrosive and strips the paint in about an hour at most. Is washed of with hot water, alas been hit on the damned nogging to many times by the dwarf warhammer to remember name. The stuff can be picked up in any B&Q's, Homestore etc - it is expensive but does clean up a treat. When I get time I will post the name of the stuff here, it is not a liquid, more of a white mush. Believe ne it does clean metal figures to the bone even if they are multi-layered in paint.

But does any one have tips on cleaning plastics?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Oct 2006, 17:30

Turpentine? White Spirit? Probably not if it's a mush rather than a liquid. Might have heard of it, but can't think.

As for plastics, I've never tried cleaning them because they're likely to be as disolved as the paint on them. The only ones I know of are the ones in here - Castrol Super Clear oil remover and brake fluid.

If you find any others that work, please share :)

moregil

Postby moregil at 27 Oct 2006, 10:18

Will do and it is not turpine or white spirits - Okay I spotted something called HG Grafitti remover - says it is suitable for removing spray paint and mark pens on all surfaces including plastics, so i might invest and see if this will work on the acrylic paints on plastic that is - will let all know about it if I go ahead.

Next