IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Looking At Your Old Models

Postby IBBoard at 09 Dec 2004, 20:22

I've been looking at my old Orks (3rd edition multi-part models, but my first mobs) and wondering why they look so bad. Then tonight I got out the painting station for a while and took out my Stormboyz, and boy do they look awful :blink: pants left as black undercoat, bodies left mainly silver, bits of paint splashed onto skin and left, necks not painted green, single tone skin and bright mithril silver everywhere :blink:

How do people ever paint their models like that? my orks weren't even my first army, I'd collected High Elves and some Dwarves before then and my painting wasn't that bad.

But I dread to think what my first ever high elf looks like :unsure:
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 21 Dec 2004, 21:11

Hah, some of my first goblins are shocking :D Amd I've got a bone to pick with GW - the new 40k boxed set has the old 1 pose marines in it - boo :angry:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Dec 2004, 21:39

Does it? where have you seen that? The Battle For Macragge (sp?) has new clip together marines, but I haven't seen the old marines anywhere other than the mini paint sets for starters.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 22 Dec 2004, 12:00

Battle for Macragge is the new 40k intro box, as for the marines they're not the old 1 position marines, they're in a more active position and they use the new flamers and stuff but they are still one pose

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Dec 2004, 16:12

Ah, k, I'd just read somewhere that they were clip together. I'd assumed that they were multipose clip together (which I thought would be a little loose and likely to fall apart). They must be like the old Heroquest Advanced stuff and whatever huge hex based game it was they did with MB games that I got half of my Empire stuff from (including the plastic cannon)
They look quite good for single pose plastics. Probably helps that they're not stood with their feet flat, legs straight, staring forward etc!

Corporal Harland

Postby Corporal Harland at 20 Jul 2005, 06:43

does this include create your own chapters if it does then children of the red eclipse

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jul 2005, 06:55

Huh? I don't quite follow where you're coming from! What's that got to do with the quality of your first paint job on models? :)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 27 Jul 2005, 22:49

You think you have problems with storm boyz? You only painted those a few years back, I've just been spraying some of the old 4th ed ( ? ) plastic goblins, probably some of the first models I painted years ago.

I remember some advice being given that it was quicker and easier to paint lots of gobbo's on the sprue, looking at them, I've painted the front and back of the arms holding the spears, but not the tops or bottoms :shock: They look awful. And what possessed me to paint some of them purple I don't know.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Jul 2005, 07:28

If you're talking about one or two Night Goblin archers, I think those were the ones we let Grandma at :D

As for painting on the sprue, I don't see how that can ever be easier, what with you needing to clean and then retouch the bits where the sprue was anyway :\ I wonder if I've still got my first High Elf somewhere - the one I painted the edge of the base in a mix of green and black and where I looked like I'd just flooded the face with ink :D

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 08 Apr 2006, 16:45

The first Marines I painted were really bad. I saw the deep rich ultramarines in the rulebook, and they were shiny too, so I painted mine, and then covered them with blue ink. Now they look really horrible. :oops: if looks could kill, they'd destroy the earth!
Nowadays I paint them using Regal blue over the basecoat, then I paint on the Ultramarines blue.
Am currently painting Marneus Calgar + Honour Guard, so I need to be careful! :!: :!: