IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Best Paints

Postby IBBoard at 05 Apr 2004, 13:51

Yeah, Citadel paints are great - nice and water soluble so you don't need thinners to clean your brushes :)
But the selection of colours is good, the finish looks right and the names of some of the paints are just great ("Snot Green", "Smelly Primer" and "Scab Red")
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Bap

Postby Bap at 06 Apr 2004, 10:44

Citadel all the way :) Great selection :) Although I dunno about th new pots....

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Apr 2004, 19:52

I think the new flip-top pots will be better than the screw-lid ones. But I still like the old hexagonal pots :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Logan_Grimnar

Postby Logan_Grimnar at 27 Jun 2004, 17:23

Citadel paints are cool, but i agree about the screw lid tops. They are quite annoying - if you dont use them for a couple of months all the paint dries around the top and its near impossible to undo the lids

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Jun 2004, 19:58

Five votes, all sticking with GW's home brand :D
I also remember seeing citadel paints on TV recently - it was something where they were doing museum displays or something odd like that (not actually GW) but the paints sat on the table were most definately new Citadel pots from the glimpse you got of them.

Corporal Harland

Postby Corporal Harland at 20 Jul 2005, 06:29

citadel colour all the way

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 20 Jul 2005, 14:51

they do seem the best, i didnt like the old pots, too messy

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jul 2005, 15:13

Maybe sometimes - you used to get a ring of paint that dried inside the rim of the lid, but I still think that's better than the newer screwtops that dried themselves closed so that you needed one of those jar openers to get into them!

omegoku

Postby omegoku at 21 Jul 2005, 12:06

yeah, they were annoying, the new ones are pretty good though..

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Jul 2005, 12:53

Haven't bought any paints in ages (haven't painted or anything in a long while!) so I don't know what they're like. I do remember the GW shop staff hating the screw tops just as much, though, and saying that the only thing stopping GW bringing out the flip tops sooner was a licence or something

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 21 Jul 2005, 12:56

I think about the only other paints I've used in modelling have been Humbrol, and that was on airfix kits, usually enamel paints as well. Don't think I've used any other company's acrylics (? - water based?).

Got a mix of old hexagonal pots and the new-style screw top ones, as well as a few old-school round pots. The paint seems to dry out alot more in the new pots, gets thick round the sides of the pot. I just cut a 2mm rim of dry paint off one of the pots as well, wondered why it wasn't closing properly :lol:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Aug 2005, 18:22

The new flip tops definately seem better than the screwtops were, but I need some more Chaos Black (I thought it was more full than it was last time I bought paints). Think I might have to go to the previous generation Citadels now you've pointed them out :) possibly just stick with the new ones for Yellows, since the GW staff said the switch was because the old company couldn't do a yellow that covered better without making it toxic :D

bluelizard1976
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Re: Best Paints

Postby bluelizard1976 at 30 Apr 2008, 12:04

Have to say Vallejo paints are pretty good, they have tried to match colour ranges for most types of war gaming and they have pipette type lids that stay clean real easy.

But...

I do have to admit that apart from the occasional top up, the majority of my citadel paints have lasted me nearly 20 years, so that says something for them. :)

Next