Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Buying GW products elsewhere....

Postby Briggsy at 30 Nov 2010, 03:51

Hi All,

Are there any dis-advantages buying GW products from Wayland games etc? I'm asking because I was in the GW store the other day and asked them the same question and they said they will be fake products etc, can someone confirm that Wayland games products are genuine and are brought direct from GW?

Thanks

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Buying GW products elsewhere....

Postby snowblizz at 30 Nov 2010, 12:21

LOL!

That is so so sad. They really said that to you? With a straight face?

I haven't personally bought stuff from Wayland but consider this:

1) If Wayland DID sell fake GW products wouldn't GW have *done* something about that already? Apparently that *know* about it as they told you, right? You know stuff like had the police kick in their door and arrest the lot? Selling counterfeits is a crime after all.

2) Baring the inconceivable idea that this has passed unnoticed by GW, would not the community have decried them for doing it. Expecting GW stuff and getting copies wouldn't be OK regardless of how cheap it was.

3) It's probably cheaper to buy the things of GW at wholesale and sell them cheap with less of a profit margin making it up in lower overhead, than having exact copies produced somewhere overseas (they certainly couldn't do it in the UK) for less than what GW charges. Not eve counting the risk of getting caught out and the financial penalties inherent.

Now an actual concern might be if you want to swap something or there is something missing from the box. It can happen. Depending a bit on local laws, but I think you would then have to deal with the seller and not GW so getting replacements would take longer than from the local GW store.
But in my experience that's not something you need to worry about.

Now single metal figures with odd flaws super cheap from ebay? Or the same in units of 20-30 for a fraction of the cost. Yeah, I'd check it out three times before buying. But plastic kits are a lot more difficult to replicate due to the tools required.

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 30 Nov 2010, 14:41

Yep they said that, well one of them did anyway. I spoke to all 3 guys working in the store and each one gave me a different answer, but yep it was said.

Thanks for the post.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 30 Nov 2010, 15:14

Briggsy wrote:Yep they said that, well one of them did anyway. I spoke to all 3 guys working in the store and each one gave me a different answer, but yep it was said.

Thanks for the post.

Man, they really shouldn't be allowed to do that. Might be interesting to confront them with point 1). I didn't out and out say it, but I would not worry about Wayland games. I haven't used them, but I would unless I was vary of what shipping to me ends up being. As I mentioned I use Maelstrom myself, who BTW now have a 16% off offer.

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 30 Nov 2010, 16:22

So Maelstrom sell exact GW products?

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 30 Nov 2010, 16:42

Briggsy wrote:So Maelstrom sell exact GW products?

Oh yes absolutely. I've got a couple hundred pounds worth of it right behind me. They even sell Direct Only models that you can only get through GW's on-line store or on-site. They drive up to GW purchase them from their store and sell them, for just a bit more than GW does, but taken altogether you'll save on it.
So much for GW trying to force people into their on-line store. :D

Maelstrom has a big honking hobby store with loads of gaming space as well as their on-line operations. One of these days I'd love to visit.

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 30 Nov 2010, 17:00

Have you heard of combat heroes online store, they seem to be even cheaper?

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 30 Nov 2010, 17:33

Nope.
And according to the site:
We are sorry to inform you that this site is temporarily suspended due to a change in ownership.

Please do not place any orders!

The site will return to full operation as soon as possible.

It doesn't seem to have been updated in ages so that seems to be out of business.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Nov 2010, 19:50

I've only bought paint brushes from Wayland, not figures, but that staffer sure had some cheek to suggest the only way to get legit models is basically to buy in-store. The problem (as far as I know) used to be people with clay and cheap lead casting poor-quality impressions from existing models, but that was mainly in the 90s when models were lower quality to start with. Doing that with plastics is way more difficult, as is turning it into an entire store that also manages to stock books etc. and has been online for years.

GW Legal are some mean-ass SOB's when they want to be (although their handling of a situation with me was nicer than a certain software company that makes army roster software with their somewhat tenuous claims and barely veiled threats) and they've had a "we'll come down on counterfeiters as hard as possible" thing on their site for as long as I've known. If counterfeiting is happening anywhere other than eBay then it won't happen for long, and the only reason it'll happen so easily on eBay is because it is basically a free-for-all.

As for missing bits, I've had free bases out of a GW store before now (my second and third Killa Kan came with round bases, but I wanted square ones to match my first one - they just fished in a box and gave me a couple, no questions asked) so on the tiny off-chance that it does happen then I'd go to a store anyway and just say you bought it and it is missing something. Don't say where, and if they say they didn't sell it then be as vague as possible (like "elsewhere" or "another store"). At the end of the day then it is GW's problem and they're at fault, even if UK law says you have to take it up with the retailer as opposed to the supplier. In this situation then it is probably easier and cheaper for all involved to just wander in to a store, though.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 30 Nov 2010, 23:27

So where would you guys recommend buying models from?

Thanks

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Dec 2010, 07:30

Most places online that look reputable. Wayland games are fine from my experience, and while we don't endorse any site, other people have had good experiences with the stores in our "GW on a budget" list. Anywhere that isn't directly GW is good because a) it is generally cheaper and b) it gives someone else a cut of the major profit margin.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

waylandgames
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

2%

Postby waylandgames at 01 Dec 2010, 08:43

Id like to know which store you had this information from as I will be in touch with GW HQ about to make a strongly worded complaint.

The guy you spoke to is an idiot.

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 22 Dec 2010, 22:00

I have brought plenty of products from Wayland games and I can say I have been very impressed with the quality of service I have received and the quality of the products.

Thanks

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Dec 2010, 13:55

Have you been buying via our affiliate link? It doesn't cost you any more, and the referral fee helps me support the sites :)

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 23 Dec 2010, 15:12

Nope, but as from now I will.... :)

Next