Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Painting Lamp

Postby Briggsy at 21 Nov 2010, 17:09

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good painting lamp and is a painting magnifying glass needed?

Thanks

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Painting Lamp

Postby snowblizz at 22 Nov 2010, 10:41

Difficult to answer. Mainly because there's so many different options.

Depends a bit on your needs. I use a standard desklamp for some extra lighting, and at home I have a daylight bulb in the lamp. Not that I really see any difference.

As to a magnifier, well I haven't been able to figure out how to use that to my advantage. I got such a lamp from a friend but I find that it really is too difficult to use it for painting. Basically it forces you to place the miniature in a way that is dictated by the the lamp, not necessarily where you want it. Also I found that the painting brush wouldn't fit under it when the model was in focus... :roll:
And the heat from the lamp dried the paint on the brush before it got on the model... sigh.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Nov 2010, 19:27

I've never used a painting lamp, but then I've normally painted through the day (I was a student - so much more free time then!).

Daylight bulbs are supposed to be better than normal bulbs for getting the colours right, but I know that my mum once used one while doing cross-stitch and realised in the morning (under natural light) that she had mixed a peach and an orange thread, so they aren't perfect.

If you do want a lamp then multi-poise is about the main requirement - either flexible necks or those pivoted desk lamps. Your painting area may have a bearing on the decision as well (clamp vs compact desk lamp vs something bigger)

As for a magnifying glass, I've done some detailed work and never felt the need for one. Based on Snowblizz's comments about heat and angles then I'd definitely think twice about bothering with the expense, especially if you're new to the hobby.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 22 Nov 2010, 23:37

Thanks guys, excellent advice.