Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Basing....

Postby Briggsy at 19 Nov 2010, 23:20

Hi All,

Does it matter if you base your models i.e apply sand or gravel before priming (undercoating)?

What works best?

Thanks

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Basing....

Postby IBBoard at 20 Nov 2010, 11:23

It depends what you're doing with the base.

If you're using sand and gravel then I'd recommend gluing it on before you undercoat for two reasons: 1) you can undercoat the sand at the same time and 2) you don't risk getting glue and sand on your nicely painted and completed model (if you get glue on it before undercoating then just scrape it off - no harm done). It also means that you can paint the sand/gravel during the main painting process.

If you're using flock (which is what I generally use) or gravel that you're not going to paint (which I use for my characters) then I actually cheat slightly. Being very careful with the glue is the best option, but I've found that a good layer of paint on the base (not very thick, just not a thin or watery layer) is sufficient to hold the flock that I use. That might just be because my Orks have brown bases with brown (dead grass) flock, though, and so it sticks just enough whereas it might look bad on a green grass base.

If you want to add static grass then you'll have to leave that until the very end :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Re: Basing....

Postby Briggsy at 21 Nov 2010, 15:00

Thanks, that's very helpful.....