Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Mega paint set....

Postby Briggsy at 12 Nov 2010, 18:47

Hi All,

I've just started painting my first WH miniatures and i have a few basic bushes etc.....

I really want to take this serious and was wondering if buying the citadel mega paint set for all the right brushes for the right paints etc.....after watching some guides on YouTube I was really surprised with all the different stages to painting a miniature....

I really want the right equipment and want to know if buying the citadel mega paint set was worth it?

Thanks

Briggsy :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Mega paint set....

Postby IBBoard at 12 Nov 2010, 19:51

IMO it isn't worth it, definitely not at the start and probably not later on either. I've got about 30+ paints, of which I frequently use about 6-8 (when I actually paint!). Overall then you often get good effects by mixing colours.

Look at any of the GW painting articles and you'll see that they almost never use a pure colour - they always tend to mix it (normally in some odd combination like 3:2). I once saw it suggested that this was because the Eavy Metal guys didn't actually use Citadel paints and so had to explain how to get something similar, but I don't know how much truth there is in that. I used to have even more paints than I have now, but there were definitely some that I never used and had no real way to use them in my schemes.

As for paintbrushes, I'm not sure that you need all of them. I normally have a fine detail and a standard, plus a small drybrush. I sometimes use a detail brush as well, and a large brush can be useful for bigger areas and inks. I recently got one of the larger brushes (possibly the tank brush) because I had a few larger models to paint. I'm not entirely sure it was worth it, though.

As a basic tip then I'd say pick a small palette of colours, get a good undercoat and then focus on being clean and crisp. If you can keep a good point on your brushes, avoid getting paint on the wrong bits and generally keep crisp edges then your models can look great with very little detail. Once you're familiar with painting and your normal painting is improving then you can look at some of the more advanced techniques.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Postby Briggsy at 12 Nov 2010, 22:26

OK, thank you.....

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Nov 2010, 09:37

No problem. Other people may have other opinions, and I did like the idea of having the mega paint set at one point (back when it was £100 - probably 10 years ago), but in reality I probably wouldn't use as much of it as I'd like.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)