The Warhawks Chapter

Squig
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

26%

The Warhawks Chapter

Postby Squig at 29 Dec 2009, 21:53

Been playing around with some colour schemes on Dawn of War and have found one that I liked so I've painted a mildly modified Death Company marine, however I would like to apologise for two things; firstly the pics have been taken on a camera phone and secondly the Chapter badge is white on bone so it's a bit difficult to see.

Anyway this one took several hours, not to mention the converting...

Showing frontal

Showing the Chapter badge

Showing the Tactical Designation badge

So what do you think?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: The Warhawks Chapter

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2009, 14:22

Looks good. The badge shows up okay even in those shots and the very thin edging picks it out just enough. The grey and bone works well together as well. It might just be colouring from the camera and my monitor's setup, but it looks like there's a slight tint to the grey that stops it being drab and dull.

I'm not familiar with the Death Company models (I vaguely remember the old ones!) so I don't know what you've converted, but the pose looks good and the laurels on his helmet pick him out nicely.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Squig
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

26%

Postby Squig at 30 Dec 2009, 19:02

I basically removed all the markings that referred to the Blood Angels, i.e all the blood drop chains and pendants and the chest has been trimmed flat so I could paint a scroll, bearing the Latin ALTUS (meaning "soar" or "to soar" as in soaring like an eagle) which is just visible below... and I added the Company number to the shoulder pad in the pic below.

Going to build an initial 500 point army core, which given the cost of Marines will be like almost all Marine army cores. Two 10 men tactical squads (plasma guns and lascannons for both, and sergeants equipped with bolters) and a Captain with powersword, melta bombs and bolter/stormbolter.

Once they are all fully painted, 2 Razorbacks with TL assault cannons, and a Devastator squad with Rhino... The idea is for a fast response force with enough firepower to deal with light and heavy infantry, and heavier armoured vehicles.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2009, 19:19

500pts is a 21 man army? Wow, I'm glad I've got my Ork Boyz :D How ever did the Marines manage when GW made the rules for "40K in 40 minutes", which had even smaller armies?!

I can about see a scroll on his chest, but nothing on it. Putting the chapter number in that part of the shoulder pad works quite well and does mean that you can keep consistent shoulder pad trim colour :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Squig
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

26%

Postby Squig at 30 Dec 2009, 19:33

the grey is a off blue, darker than the space wolves. Will be adding veterans as well with red trim and Dark angel robes... intend to mix and match to get something totally unique in appearance but cheap to make, so lots of plastics with weighted bases :lol:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 Dec 2009, 10:31

I did always like the Dark Angels robes - probably impractical really, but they do work well as veterans :) The first photos actually look a touch green in the grey rather than blue, and the last photo looks closer to plain grey, but I'll trust you and blame the camera and my TV's colour settings :)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 31 Dec 2009, 21:01

Blood Raven veterans are my favorite sort of chapter veteran look wise. I have only ever seen two actually made. If you don't know, they have a white helmet with oak leaves, and the right shoulder is double plated over. Other various details. Add in a plasma rifle and you have badassery.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

David256
Grot
Grot
Progress to next rank:

53%

Postby David256 at 16 Jan 2010, 12:17

Looks nice!

How long did it take to convert/paint this model btw?
----------

Time te get stuck in boyz!

Squig
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

26%

Postby Squig at 16 Jan 2010, 23:00

About 5 hours... but I was largely working out the right mixes to get the desired colours. I'd say 4 hrs end to end (now I know the mixes), but I forgot to remove the flash of the backpack.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jan 2010, 19:27

but I forgot to remove the flash of the backpack.

It is always so annoying when you either do that, or get to the end and realise that you missed a little bit! It doesn't look too terrible, so hopefully it'll blend in and not be noticeable in the middle of a squad in the middle of an army. If nothing else then he can always be the first casualty ;)

Squig
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

26%

Postby Squig at 06 Feb 2010, 16:09

he will be getting a new style backpack when I have some spares... :lol:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Feb 2010, 19:46

The problem there is always when you either did too good a job of gluing it on or when you can't quite get the right angle on it and end up having a slightly patchy touch-up job. I guess that at least a backpack is mainly separated anyway, so it won't be too visible where the actual join is.