Spare Parts

Shugs
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

6%

Spare Parts

Postby Shugs at 08 Oct 2008, 11:50

Does anyone know where i can get spare parts from?

I've been hunting through my old models (i quit for a number of years and have decided to start gw stuff again!!) and most of my terminators are missing arms...

any ideas where i can get them from? I've not looked into games workshop mail order as the impression i get is now you have to order a random figure and are unable to get individual parts.... which sucks ass....

any help would be good!!!

when i get my paint collection revived (foundry paints are looking the best so far....) I'll post pics... hope i can still paint!!!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Spare Parts

Postby IBBoard at 08 Oct 2008, 19:47

People sometimes sell spares on WargameBits.com, but you're stuck with what people have available at the time. There is another site that I can't think of at the moment, but I think they're basically a company who break up unit/squad boxes and so you pay a bit of a premium.

The problem these days is that more and more stuff is plastic, so it's not possible to get "an arm" from GW. As far as I knew they were still doing parts, though, as that's one of the core things for conversions. You might have to ring up or use a catalogue in-store to get your parts, though.

In terms of paints, the Foundry collection are supposed to be good, but I don't like GW's prices or pot sizes, or the fact that they dry up so easily. There are at least a few other companies who can be used as cheaper but just as good alternatives.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Crusader
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

28%

Postby Crusader at 09 Oct 2008, 15:28

There is a bits page on the games workshop website

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... GameStyle=

has some terminator arms on it with lightning claws, assault cannons and thunder hammers etc, not cheap like but thought it might be of some use to ya.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Oct 2008, 18:44

They used to (several years ago) do break-downs of the components on the site, though. That meant you could go to (for example) the Terminator page and click a "show bits" page and see the bits and their prices individually. The last I saw a paper catalogue they still do options like that, but they're not publicising it as much. Maybe it got cut as part of their cost-cutting, but they do now only seem to have select pieces that they have in-stock to advertise (basically whatever is in White Dwarf that relates to their recent releases).
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Oct 2008, 15:22

I was just reading some messages on the petition against the Games Workshop price hike and noticed a message about "now that they don't sell bits".

Is that the reason why you can't click through to components any more - they only sell select groups of bits at any given time (related to whatever the current new release is - so Marine customisation at the moment)? If so, I missed the announcement on that one. That sure screws over easy conversion, which is half of the hobby for some people :\

Shugs
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

6%

Postby Shugs at 13 Oct 2008, 11:47

I went in and asked and the only arms they had were the imperial fist conversion kits... they also had assault cannon and lightning claw & thunderhammer/stom sheild arms.... no chain fists or power fists... some cheeky swine is selling some plastic ones on ebay for nearly £5!!!! some peeps are sooooo greedy!!!

as to gw prices... www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk has 25% off all gw prices minimum!!! 30% off some of the army boxes!!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Oct 2008, 17:58

GiftsForGeeks sounds good - and makes me wonder (again) how much of a profit GW make if they sell direct and these online retailers are making sufficient profit on top of what GW charges them! I'll add them to our list :)

Some of the prices on eBay are ridiculous. I did just have a quick search for the other site I mentioned, and I may have found it. BitzBox.co.uk has various different bits pages, including one for Terminator bits. They seem to have a lot listed as "out of stock", though, so I don't know how you'll do finding what you want. I'm not sure which are metal and which are plastic either.