Glazes

bluelizard1976
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Glazes

Postby bluelizard1976 at 30 Apr 2008, 11:42

Does anyone out there know the difference between Inks and the old GW Glazes?

If they are different how can one replicate the effect? :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Glazes

Postby IBBoard at 30 Apr 2008, 18:31

As far as I know the new GW inks are glazes. Glazes (red lids and labels in the old hex-pots) were thicker than washes (blue lids and labels in the old hex-pots). I almost never used glazes, but I used washes a lot.

With the new pots then GW dropped the differentiation and just went for "inks". Since you can't easily make an ink thicker, they should be the same consistency (or similar) as the old glazes. I've also seen some of the painting articles mention watered down inks for a wash, which would also match "ink = glaze". Then again I've seen them say to water down paint for a wash, but that must be a different final effect.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

bluelizard1976
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby bluelizard1976 at 01 May 2008, 10:12

Thats what I thought, but have seen a few figures painted by a friend of mine using the glazes and there was a definite difference in finish, seemed glossy a lot even across the surface of the figure.

:idea: I have been told that a touch of detergent with your inks could achieve the same effect, haven't tried that yet, suppose it acts like a wetting agent breaking the surface tension.

Any ideas?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 May 2008, 17:49

I have heard of small amounts of detergent (e.g. Fairy Liquid) added to inks letting them give a smoother coverage. As you said it should break the surface tension and let you get a smoother and thinner coat.

I've also just given the painting article for Manfred von Carstein a quick read and they mention Chaos Black and 1:3 glaze mixes of Scaly Green and Bubonic Brown. They don't mention how they get it to the consistency of a glaze, but it seems some painters may make a glaze from normal paints and water.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

bluelizard1976
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby bluelizard1976 at 01 May 2008, 21:19

Guess its gonna have to be trial and error then!

Got some Tau and Marines to paint at some point, will try a few of the different techniques and see how it goes.....

Will post my findings

...But if people still have any suggestions, keep 'em coming.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 May 2008, 11:50

As another alternative, GW Mail Order might be able to help you. I don't know if they ever stopped advertising it, but they always used to put in White Dwarf that you could call the MO Trolls if you wanted orders, army building advice or painting tips as they're all gamers. That's assuming you can't just go in to a local store and ask :)

bluelizard1976
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby bluelizard1976 at 02 May 2008, 19:39

Found a site earlier that suggests that lots of thin layers of ink/paint will give a glazing effect.

Going into town at the wkend so will ask a staff member at workshop

whackozacko
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Postby whackozacko at 18 Apr 2009, 21:38

IBBoard wrote:I have heard of small amounts of detergent (e.g. Fairy Liquid) added to inks letting them give a smoother coverage. As you said it should break the surface tension and let you get a smoother and thinner coat.

I've also just given the painting article for Manfred von Carstein a quick read and they mention Chaos Black and 1:3 glaze mixes of Scaly Green and Bubonic Brown. They don't mention how they get it to the consistency of a glaze, but it seems some painters may make a glaze from normal paints and water.

to make a glaze use a little bit of varnish

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Apr 2009, 10:09

I guess that depends on what kind of glaze you want. The old GW glazes didn't leave anything shiny (at least not the ones I used), so you'd have to go for a matte varnish (and be very careful with your brushes!)