Any good scratch-build templates?

T-5A
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Any good scratch-build templates?

Postby T-5A at 08 Feb 2008, 14:32

Has anybody here tried scratch-building? i have been looking for a sentinel temlate and cant find one! grr

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Any good scratch-build templates?

Postby IBBoard at 08 Feb 2008, 17:33

Scratch building can be very difficult, and depending on how close you get to the GW original then their Legal team may have some complaints about any site that hosts templates.

The cabin shouldn't be too difficult to work out, although you'd need some good support for the inside of the corners. I can imagine the legs being a lot more difficult to get right, though.

Having said that, back around issue 100-130 (before I started, but within the region of magazines I have) GW used to put templates for what Forge World now do (big guns that are mounted on Rhinos to make them something else) in White Dwarf. The quality of the models at the time wasn't as good, but it was much more hobbyist and 'pure' gamer than just buying everything.

If you're just wanting to have a Sentinel without paying the excessive prices then have you read our GW on a budget article? The best solutions are online retailers with a discount or eBay shops :) It also means that even if it is still quite expensive, at least someone other than GW is getting a cut ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

T-5A
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby T-5A at 08 Feb 2008, 18:23

i just thought it would be a good idea, not really about the money, although that does play a part, i just wanted to try my hand at building something from scratch :D

I'll have a read of that article btw too, i know white dwarf used to publish some templates, templates of anything would be fine tbh i just want to build stuff XD thanks for the link to the budget article, it will help loads.

bluelizard1976
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby bluelizard1976 at 30 Apr 2008, 11:55

If your looking for plans this group on yahoo have loads

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bwc-archive/

They say its for paper tanks but with a bit of thought any material can be used.

You will have to join the group though to access their archive. Hope it helps

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Apr 2008, 18:35

Sounds interesting :) I'm sure there is always someone who is doing or has done most sensible and even some of the non-sensible ideas in war gaming!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)