IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Worrying statistics about road signs

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jun 2007, 07:34

My drive to work is about 45 minutes to an hour - 25 miles along a Hereford/Worcester country A-road. Even from doing that journey I know how stupid drivers can be with things like not keeping a reasonable distance, overtaking close to corners, etc. Something I just read on the BBC is even more worrying:

Road signs 'lost' on many drivers

The most worrying ones are in the first paragraph:

Some 67% of the 2,500 people polled did not recognise "no through road" signs, and one-third could not identify the sign for "no motor vehicles".

If you don't recognise "no through road" (the dead-end "T" with a red top) and "no motor vehicles" (the motorbike 'jumping' over a car in a red circle) then you're going to land yourself in all sorts of problems!

Some of the suggestions for other useful signs would be funny, if only it weren't for the fact that they'd lead to an information overload while driving and it would be generally pointless information.

Oh, the joy of our convenience culture drivers who can't follow simple rules like stopping distance :roll:
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)