batty
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

20%

Hey - I'm returning to 40k after 8 years absence :-o

Postby batty at 02 Feb 2007, 14:35

Hi everyone!

I've been away from 40k for around 8 years (since the tender age of 15 ) :shock: and have recently decided to dust out my old minis, fix them up and have another go :lol:

Must say, I found the 40k on a budget thread very helpful.

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding a good place to get Coat'd Arms paints though, does anyone know of a good place to get them in the UK (I'm in the South East, relatively close to London)?

Also, any tips for a newbie/former-oldbie :?:

Which other websites would you recommend? Any particularly good places to buy stuff?

And are there any resources worth my knowing about (Internet wasn't as big back when I collected before - I suspect it's changed the hobby a lot!).

Thanks!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Hey - I'm returning to 40k after 8 years absence :-o

Postby IBBoard at 02 Feb 2007, 22:55

Games Workshop have a reasonable bit of information on their sites now, especially the UK one (which I find is much better than the US one). Buying from them is a definite bad idea for price, though.

Shop-wise, I can't suggest anywhere other than those listed in the Games Workshop on a budget article (which is an update of the thread). I've personally used Oracle Games and they delivered quickly with no problems, but the others may be just as good. Be careful of the ones that compensate discount with higher postage prices though.

As for resources, it depends entirely on what you want. There's huge amounts of background information out there now - some of it canon, some of it not. Some of the canon is potentially copyright infringement though, so be careful about posting links to any you might find. Same goes for tips really - what kind of tips do you want?

WRT Coat d'Arms paints, lets try to keep it in the Coat d'Arms thread :)

Finally, as an aside, I've removed your avatar. That's partly because it's too big and partly because GW Legal could have some complaints about edited images like that (they had a section on their IP Policy page saying about not editing/distorting their intellectual property and copyright).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

batty
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

20%

Thanks

Postby batty at 03 Feb 2007, 00:34

Cool, thanks for the information...

Apologies for the av, sounds like GW protect their IP very aggressively, I'll make sure to be aware of that fact! :?

Congratulations on an excellent site/community!

I suppose in terms of tips, I was just wondering if anything sprung to mind as useful somebody getting reacquainted with GW... obviously, the rules will have changed, as will the ranges, any tips on where ot start getting reacquainted?

Thanks again! :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Hey - I'm returning to 40k after 8 years absence :-o

Postby IBBoard at 03 Feb 2007, 12:19

Rules-wise you could go in to a store for a quick refresher. The GW staff are always happy to help people, even if you've played before but it was a long time ago. Alternatively the new boxed game has a mini-rules booklet in that goes through an intro, or the new rule book layout is staged so that you can learn things bit by bit (unlike 40K 2nd, which I remember being more "all at once")

The best place for the model/race ranges is probably GW's website. Each race has a section on the site and just about all of them have their own miniatures gallery. If you've got any specific questions on various races and changes then I've been gaming and reading White Dwarf for around 13 years, so I should be able to help with most things :)

As for GW and their IP, they don't necessarily always protect it aggressively, as I've seen people get away with various things they probably shouldn't, but when they do protect it then it is very much aggressive. I've already been on the receiving end of GW Legal once over the Rollcall army creation files (way back in about 2002) so it's not something I'd like to do again ;)
Last edited by IBBoard on 31 Jan 2010, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Resolve potential trademark infringement issues
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)