IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Drivers and yellow box junctions...

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jan 2007, 18:48

It's probably just because I'm a fairly new driver (I've had my license for about a year now and I've been driving for about three or four months) but the things some people do or get annoyed at amazes me sometimes.

In Hereford there's at least four yellow box junctions I can think of, if not five or six, and they're all on a half mile to mile long stretch of Commercial Road and then the ring road.

Now, as any driver should know (in the UK at least), you shouldn't enter the yellow box junction unless you can leave it at the other side, or if you're turning right and only blocked by oncoming traffic (official government source).

So now on multiple occasions I've reached the yellow box junction (the very beginning of rush hour) and been honked at repeatedly for leaving a big gap because of the box junction! What makes people so impatient as to want me to sit on the box junction, potentially screwing the traffic flow up, just to gain another ten yards?

Maybe some people need to take their driving tests again :D (including the BMWs and similar cars who fly past me at 50-60+ in a 40 zone, or who approach rather rapidly behind me when I'm already doing 40 in a 40 zone)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Brannick
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

32%

RE: Drivers and yellow box junctions...

Postby Brannick at 27 Jan 2007, 20:46

In London they are thinking of setting up "yellow box cams" to fine those that do sit in them.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Drivers and yellow box junctions...

Postby IBBoard at 28 Jan 2007, 08:50

Sounds like a good plan! Yes, there might be the odd occasion where you look ahead, see the traffic is moving on enough but then someone stops to left someone from another lane in and you're sat on the box junction, but there's far more times when traffic just builds up and up because someone decided they should park across the junction and not wait for a gap, which caused people in the other direction to not be able to move when the lights change.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)