IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Strange spelling corrections

Postby IBBoard at 27 Dec 2006, 17:22

Following the fun I had in the Christmas thread with corrections for correct (or nearly correct) words that the in-build Firefox spell checker didn't recognise I thought I'd make a thread for them. Feel free to add any more you encounter (either through Firefox and the like, or through MS Word/OpenOffice)

So far we have:

Pilsner (a type of beer): Minerals, entrails or innersole
Grolsh (a slight misspelling of the beer): Holster, Bolshevik
Grolsch (the correct spelling of the beer): Preschools, Schools, scholars, scholarly

Firefox also doesn't recognise its own name (Firebox or Fire fox) or Thunderbird (thunder bird or Thunderbirds, as in the puppets!)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: Strange spelling corrections

Postby MadMaffMan at 27 Dec 2006, 22:55

Googlemail keeps trying to change names in emails

Matthew to mat thew
IBBoard to Riobard (what ever that is)
DoW to Dhow

Where's this Firefox spell check then, i haven't used that yet.
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Dec 2006, 10:46

It's part of Firefox 2.0 - a self-contained spell checker for text boxes (only the large ones, not the single line ones). Some of the features of 2.0 are worth the upgrade, but I can also see why people say it's basically Firefox 1.6 rather than 2.0. One thing I'd recommend is finding a new skin for it, as the default for 2.0 is terrible :D

As for Riobard, it's apparently an Irish version of Robert :) Strange that it recognises that name but not Matthew (which Firefox is fine with)

DoW to Dhow kinda makes sense, as long as it ignores the case. A lot of things won't spell-check block caps words so they don't have to include all the random acronyms in their dictionary. Obviously start and end caps isn't the same.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 28 Dec 2006, 14:07

Slightly off topic but i keep meaning to upgrade to Firefox 2.0, i currently use version 1.5.0.9.

Is it worth the bother i ask myself, does it have anything that's worth the upgrade other than a spell check prog. :?:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Dec 2006, 17:59

According to the What's New section, there's better anti-phishing, improved search (including suggestions as you type), improved tabs, saving sessions, undoing tab closes (which can be quite useful on occasion), better web feed integration (in case you want to subscribe to the Skins@HWT news feed) and a few things like JavaScript and Extension changes that are more developer features.

IIRC Firefox 1.5 should be supported until 3.0 comes out, so it should be safe to leave off the updates, but if you use extensions then you might find a lot of developers move on to 2.0.

Spell checking in form inputs can be quite useful, especially on forums. I think there might be an extension to add it to 1.5, though.

Nothing interesting in spelling corrections in there, although it isn't entirely up to date with its dictionary, as Firefox doesn't recognise phishing ;)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Dec 2006, 19:51

Just found another one:

Tzeentch is spell-checked to Umpteenth :D I didn't even realise that was a non-colloquial word!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Feb 2007, 19:08

And another (kinda correct):

Squiggoth gets corrected to (amongst others) "Squiggle" and "Squiggliest". Considering how Squigs used to be short for "squiggly thing" in 40K 1st/2nd it's kinda fitting :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Aug 2007, 21:38

I just found another great one:

Diablo (as in El Diablo - the devil) spell checks first on the list as Tabloid and Tabloids :D Interesting considering how they warp and distort the excesses of people and corrupt our souls with useless drivel ;)