World of Warcraft/MMORPGs

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

World of Warcraft/MMORPGs

Postby TGSC at 29 Nov 2006, 15:42

After watching one housemate building up his character from scratch, rather than the madcap apparent free-for-all that another housemates's high-level raids seemed to be, I have (almost) been tempted into getting WoW.

Once I get some Uni work out of the way, I'll probably use my mate's 10 day trial, and give it a go, see if it works on my laptop. Still not sure about paying £9 a month though...far too much of a cheapskate: What? £10 for a game, then about £2 a week for a huge, fantastically complex game set in a fantasy world I know and love? Bah, I say, bah!

So, does anyone else play WoW or other MMORPGs? Did the official Warhammer one ever get anywhere? Post your chars if you play, name/race/class/profession

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: World of Warcraft/MMORPGs

Postby MadMaffMan at 29 Nov 2006, 16:52

I used to play Guildwars and EVE online a while back, but niether game really held my interest for very long. I have downloaded the free WoW trial from fileplanet but have yet to try it, all the reviews are good though and it sounds like it's easy and fun to play, unlike EVE which bored me into the ground after a few weeks playing it. Warhammer online is still being made i think. :?:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Nov 2006, 18:34

Yeah, WAR (Warhammer: Age of Reckoning AKA Warhammer Online) is still going. Not sure what the current release date is, but I've posted a Squig concept art post from there before. I thought I'd posted more, but apparently I just snagged the images and saved them all (I'm hording all the GW artwork I can find, don't you know :D)

As for MMORPGs, nope, never got close :D RPGs are interesting, but I've never got the time to play (normally too busy spending time with my other half, tweaking the website, coding new apps, poking file formats or solving people's problems/complaints).

I'm fairly sure that there's a free MMORPG around that's still quite a big name, I just can't remember its name at the moment. Paying for the game and then paying to play it does seem like a cunning marketting scam to me, though :D

*wishes he could spend more time playing uber-coolness that is Oblivion*
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 29 Nov 2006, 20:06

I got Oblivion on the 360 and it's one of my best 360 games....along with Gears Of War of course. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Nov 2006, 21:29

I've not checked, but I think it might be even better on the PC - especially when played on the Fiancee's Core 2 Duo with Radeon X1950XTX :) If only I could get her to install all of the extra graphical mods (like the realism mod and the light shining through windows at night) then it'd really look great!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Dec 2006, 08:15

One thing I thought I'd add on the WoW topic: it does look quite impressive. That is the new expansion rather than the original game, but I'm sure it's similar. Not quite as spectacular as Oblivion, but then I guess it's an online multiplayer game, so they can't run things up too high or it'll cripple a lot of people's machines too much to actually play online!

[edit] Also, be careful of the addiction :D

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 21 Dec 2006, 16:16

Gah, never got enough work done before Xmas to warrant installing it, and I have exams in January. Looks like it's going to be Feb before I even give the trial a go.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Dec 2006, 10:31

It's always the way - you never have enough time to do what you want :D I've got Chaos League installed and not played anything more than the tutorials. One the plus side I have recently played another three missions of Dawn of War, so I must be on about mission nine now :D

The graphics do look good, though. I had a look at some screenies on the BBC website when the Tech news did a little feature on the new expansion pack. Not sure I'd have the time to develop my character enough - something like Oblivion that's RPG but not MMO is probably more my side :)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 22 Dec 2006, 14:16

Chaos League is mad but great fun, closest i'll get to playing Blood Bowl i reckon. :wink:

Long live the Undead team....no pun intended. :twisted:
Last edited by MadMaffMan on 22 Dec 2006, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Dec 2006, 15:20

It's slightly off the original topic, but not necessarily ;)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 08 Feb 2007, 21:31

Hooray! I finally got round to installing it the other day. I currently have Kuhrst - a lvl 9 Tauren hunter on Sunstrider (EU server). Got 8 more days left! I might have to buy it after the dissertation is in...