Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Uber-Computer of Uber-ness

Postby IBBoard at 22 Sep 2006, 17:52

I've not posted about it yet, so I'll post about it now:

On Thursday we (my fiancee and me) will be getting an Uber-Computer of Uberness :) Her machine is slowly dying (crashing anything up to every 10 minutes) and she's had it three years so she decided its time for another one.

We were planning to spend about £1,000 and have it as our new gaming computer, but the best Carrera/Watford Aries machine (the Vision Plus X1600 Pro) came to £1010 with an ATi X850XT, a fairly standard AMD64 4200+ and 2GB memory. Mesh Computers were offering their Elite 6600 SLI with an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 that came with 2GB of slightly faster memory and could upgrade to an ATi X1900XT for only £1100.

The uber-computer was planned...then Mesh removed the X1900XT before it got to pay-day and when we planned to buy it because they're out of stock! Noooooo!

Never mind, we're now paying £1200 and getting a X1950XTX instead (pretty much the latest card you can get!) with a processor that beats all of AMDs current offerings in game tests.

Now that's an uber-computer of uberness :) It should be arriving on Thursday, so then we get to see how it handles The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and quite how high we can set its already amazing graphics :)

Oh, and I get to pilfer the old computer for parts for mine as well :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Uber-Computer of Uber-ness

Postby IBBoard at 28 Sep 2006, 17:30

The uber-computer has arrived. The wireless keyboard and mouse currently have wires, but Mesh say it's because they ran out and they'll be delivering the wireless ones separately. Even better we get to keep the old ones too :) Okay, so a standard internet keyboard and optical mouse won't be worth much, but it's better than nothing.

Now to get it assembled and running...
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)