TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Chaos League

Postby TGSC at 02 May 2006, 15:04

http://uk.pc.ign.com/objects/646/646561.html

Looks kinda like Blood Bowl, which incidentally GW made a game of, back in the days of DOS, but it appears to be poorly made, with all the bits that make BB great like spell cards and dirty tricks taken out, and special skills assigned randomly (A Blocker with sure hands skill, yay ( ! ) )

But this is full 3D, with "roleplaying and sport elements", it says on the back of the box that its live action or strategy, its got humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, undead.

And I saw it in a charity shop today for £2.50. BWAHAHAHAHAH

I'm off to buy it :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Chaos League

Postby IBBoard at 02 May 2006, 17:53

£2.50 doesn't sound bad - I may have to borrow it and give it a quick spin at some point :D Never wanted to pay full price for it though, because it looked like it might not be worth it for the Bloodbowl similarities.

*checks screenshots* the screenies and models don't look so great, but I guess it is slightly old by now. Maybe they're fine for the game style and the gameplay will make up for it (or at least be funny enough for you not to notice)

I wonder what they've stolen from Bloodbowl:

• spells and special skills
  • pre-match hooliganism
  • general race-ness
  • "You can bribe the referee, in which case he'll look the other way when you stomp a prone opposing player."
  • generate crowd support (I'm sure Bloodbowl had something about crowds)
  • "Wood elves are excellent passers and receivers but quite weak when it comes to fighting"
  • dwarves are exactly the opposite, choosing to run through a target rather than throw around it.

The IGN preview of the game even mentioned Bloodbowl! They mention a "surprisingly spry commentary, which adds a lot to the flavor and distinctness of the game" - do you think that's going to be like the two guys they put in the WD 'battle reports' for Bloodbowl games? :D

Whatever happens, I won't play you at it - I still remember that demo game of Bloodbowl in GW Bolton where you beat me because I didn't risk it to chase after your man on the run because I didn't realise it was only to the one touchdown!

Anyway, you'll have to give us a review of it once you've played it a little :)

Now to see what I can find out about the old Bloodbowl computer game...

[edit] Ahhh, you meant the Dos game that had the random skills. Wondered why I couldn't find details of it in the Chaos League reviews! Does seem a bit daft :\
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 02 May 2006, 20:58

There's a fairly hefty manual with it, along with a comic, which basically sets the scene/chronicles a match where everyone gets involved, it has two commentators who look a bit like the guys who did BB, one typical sports guy, one drunken guy who loves violence.

Its got Humans (various types from what I can gather, barbarians etc), Orcs, Goblins, Dwarves, Undead (Egyptian), High Elves, Wood Elves, including treemen, Dark Elves, who summon some big nasty demon to attack a giant that gets involved, Praetorian, who appear to be some skaven like critter, although possibly dog based, maybe beastmen.

I'll check out the actual game and give you a lowdown sometime after my 3rd year project choices/module choices are finished, got some papers to read and a project decision to make. Back to Nonlinear coupling of neural activity and CBF in rodent barrel cortex. Yay.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 May 2006, 06:40

I read Praetorian and thought it'd be the Humans, kinda like the Praetorian Guard.

Have fun with the papers - in a little under and hour and a half I'll be demonstrating my Final Year Project. I just hope it doesn't turn up any bugs I didn't find and fix already!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Jun 2006, 15:07

Visited my family at the weekend and saw the game in action - it looks a little strange, but quite good fun :D Went hunting round Manchester for it (having seen an odd copy or two the last couple of times I went in to Game) and no-one had any :( went on eBay and found someone selling Chaos League!

It started at 1p and stayed there until two minutes before the end of the auction, then it went:

hiveworldterra £1.81 20-Jun-06 11:28:43 BST
other_user £1.61 20-Jun-06 22:06:02 BST
other_user £1.21 20-Jun-06 22:05:49 BST
other_user £0.96 20-Jun-06 22:05:42 BST
other_user £0.86 20-Jun-06 22:05:36 BST
other_user £0.76 20-Jun-06 22:05:29 BST
other_user £0.66 20-Jun-06 22:05:22 BST
other_user £0.56 20-Jun-06 22:05:12 BST
other_user £0.46 20-Jun-06 22:04:52 BST
other_user £0.36 20-Jun-06 22:04:39 BST
other_user £0.26 20-Jun-06 22:04:29 BST
other_user £0.16 20-Jun-06 22:04:19 BST
other_user £0.06 20-Jun-06 22:04:09 BST

They stopped 50 seconds before the end of the auction, but it looks like they don't fully understand eBay bidding and just kept entering a new bid ever so slightly above each time :D Oh well, it's paid for now and should be mine in a few days :)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 23 Jun 2006, 00:15

Found out why the game probably isn't selling any more. Had a look around for infor on the game and fonud out that Digital Jesters, the publishers for Chaos League, went bust, I think after someone sued them for breech of contract. It's selling in france I presume because they have adifferent producer, DJ being a UK company. both the first and the second games (the Death whatsits is a sequal) are available for digital purchase tho, check out the english bit on the forums for http://www.chaosleaguele-jou.com or something.

Btw, Digital Jesters also published Crazy Frog Racer. Bastards.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Jun 2006, 09:04

Ah, that might explain it. Some of the online sites still have it in stock (Sudden Death anyway) but HMV in Manchester said they hadn't seen Chaos League since early 2005 and Sudden Death since April :D Amazon had it new in their zMarket-thing-place, but not actually stocked. Game had it as 'out of stock', but they might never get any more in now.

Just looked at the forums and eventually tracked down the online-purchase link (from the publishers) and it's 20 Euros or 25 Euros for Sudden Death. XE.com puts that at about £14 and £17, where as one of the online stores (that didn't actually have it in stock) had it at £1.99 and £9.99. I think HMV had them for £17.99 each, though.

Whatever, my second-hand copy will be dispatched from the owner tomorrow :)

Oh, and I think you meant http://www.chaosleague-lejeu.com/ (hyphen before the 'le' and jeu not jou) ;) Serves them right to go bust if they published Crazy Frog Racer, though!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Aug 2006, 08:30

My other copy never turned up (recorded delivery, and Royal Mail said it'd never been signed for so they didn't know where it was) so the last guy gave me a refund. I've just Won a new one though :)

Once again the four bids were all from the same person just trying to outbid me by a little bit. Now to see if it can get here when I'm moving house :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Aug 2006, 13:29

Bwahahah! It has arrived! I now have Chaos League (just as I'm about to move house :D) The manual's a little dog-eared, and it has a slight tear on the back, but I got it cheap and the guy left the demo disk in with it.

Now to go install it and play 'Bloodbowl that isn't Bloodbowl' ;)