IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Postby IBBoard at 04 Apr 2006, 11:17

Don't know how many other people have seen it, but I've just picked it up cheap. And I mean cheap - £2.97 from Music Zone, anyone? :)

I've seen it before, but the graphics are just so amazing. It'd be great if they could make more films like that. Maybe a Warhammer 40,000 one...or even any apocolyptic-type sci-fi.

I'll have to see what the extras are like as well :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

RE: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Postby Simguinus at 04 Apr 2006, 19:44

I think that the success of Starship Troopers the Animated Series, and the opening movie from DoW shows that you could make a 40K film. Whether GW would ever do it is another matter, cos to do it properly you'd probably have to make it a 15. Although I suppose that these days you could probably get away with a 12A rating....
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Apr 2006, 07:56

Never seen the Starship Troopers cartoons, but I did like the original film. The 40K intro film was good too, but somehow it didn't initially strike me as being as detailed as Final Fantasy was. Maybe it was just the added 'gritty war' effects they added that stopped the detail showing so well.

GW did commission the Bloodquest movie (or at least supported it) from Exile Films, and they got some interesting snippets shown, but it all fell through in the end and even the Exile site is missing now. I think GW may have difficulty balancing game-world Vs general interest enough to get the backing of some of the bigger studios who could pull it off well.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 06 Apr 2006, 13:02

True enough, it'd be difficult to make a 40K movie that wouldn't feel like a GW World re-hash of something which had gone before - anything involving Terminators vs Genestealers is a bit too Aliens, and the Tyranids / Necrons are touch too Borg / Species 8472.

I do think, though that there may some mileage in exploring a film series covering Ian Watson's Inqusition War novels. Or maybe just the first one - it's quite cinematic in its scope, and involves an enemy that has very little do with GW 'canon' - as the Order of the Hydra are the invention of Watson, and are humans, you wouldn't have to know a lot about the world to get the idea of the story - conspiracy within the government, albeit the government of the far, far future.
Dark Future might adapt well, although could generate a lot of lawsuits.... :lol:
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Apr 2006, 19:23

Yeah, Dark Future would get all sorts of law suits from various multi-nats that still exist :D

Inquisitor would be quite cool as a movie. As you say, it has the general 'intrigue in government' theme that works well for the masses as well. Some people on the Relic News forums are suggesting the Horus Heresy as well, but I think something more on the scale of Final Fantasy works better than something that huge.

The only other film I've seen with similar quality graphics is the Final Flight of the Osiris from Animatrix.