Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

April Fools Day hoaxes

Postby IBBoard at 01 Apr 2006, 07:30

Just a little something I got off my Page-a-day calendar:

Top 100 April Fools' Day Hoaxes of all time

Just reading through them now, and I especially like number 5 and number 10 (even Patrick Moore gets in on April Fools day!)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

RE: April Fools Day hoaxes

Postby Simguinus at 01 Apr 2006, 09:03

My favourite remains Number 1. Swiss spaghetti harvest.... :lol:
and number 23; shades of the Guiness Clock.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Apr 2006, 19:28

Yeah, I liked the Guiness Clock one. Number 100 (I think) about the postal address change was quite good too, although mainly for the entertainment of the arguing nationalities :D

Having had it explained for some computing coursework, the British postcode system actually makes quite a bit of sense. Some Americans and other nationalities obviously think otherwise!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Post codes

Postby Simguinus at 02 Apr 2006, 18:40

I used to work for Tesco Customer Service. When you got people phoning for the ROI, where they don't have a postal code system at all, it was a nightmare, cos trying to trace a lost Clubcard by Surname and Address with someone who spoke fluent Oirish and whose 'first line of your address' was "Nahachnaclechneclechnecloig" or something like that was NOT FUN.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Apr 2006, 08:37

LOL :D Yeah, one of the other comments on that hoax was that Dublin can make do with two characters for a 'post code'. It is one of the annoying things about online sometimes, when you have to enter 90210 or something in to a form because it forces your address in to American Zip Code format.

The hoax site seems to be loading a lot faster now that it's not April Fools day, too!

One of the best ones (in a non-fool way) is the Kremvax one. The fact that someone would pretend to be from Russia during the Cold War and then that Russia would end up using the KremVax domain when it did start using Usenet is just great :D