Empire
29%
Imperium
71%

Total votes : 7

solidzaku

Storm Troopers vs. Space Marines

Postby solidzaku at 22 Dec 2005, 04:21

Alright, I had a feeling this debate was inevitable. Let's say that either both or neither team was afflicted with "Stormtrooper Syndrome" and the weapons were balanced. Who'd win? Now, let's do this one for Dawn of War. Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader....or.....Sindri and Bale?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Storm Troopers vs. Space Marines

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2005, 16:40

It is inevitable when you post it yourself :P :D

I don't know if you can particularly judge something like that. If weapons were balanced and it was a long war then the Empire would probably win, since it can churn out Storm Troopers quite quickly. If it was a small skirmish, then definately Space Marines as they have better armour and better skills.

As for the characters, I'd say The Emperor and Vader would win, since both are great warriors and 'magicians', while Bale is only an Inquisitor (and they're not Chaos).

I'd prefer to vote Imperium, but from that I'd say it is 2 out of 3 to the Empire.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 04 Mar 2006, 09:30

If ...it was a long war then the Empire would probably win, since it can churn out Storm Troopers quite quickly

Erm...but the Imperium can just hurl Imperial guardsmen at them. And if we're looking at that sort of thing, I'd take a Bandeblade over an AT-AT any day. And I'd say that the Imperial Navy versus... *ahem* the Imperial Navy victory to the Gothic-class over the ISD.

It's a little unclear what's actually under debate here; the poll is Empire or Imperium (which suggests we're looking at the Imperium as a whole versus the SW Empire military), but the thread title is Stormtrooper versus Space Marines. Either way, I'm still with the Imperium. Space Marines hands down over stormtroopers every time, even if they're spacetroopers or storm commandos.

As to the Emperor and Vader versus Sindri and Bale, victory to the Dark Side Force-users. Just 'cos.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Mar 2006, 10:12

Yeah, Emperor and Vader are more like Horus level, not just standard Commander/Chief Librarian type level.

Don't know if we've seen solidzaku back since this post - maybe we'll get a response at some point :) and maybe I'll get round to fixing the colour on the WA skin at some point :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 04 Mar 2006, 10:24

Indeed, Vader / Palpatine vs Bale/Sindri is bit like using a Star Destroyer to swat flies.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

Hulls Raven
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

58%

Postby Hulls Raven at 25 Mar 2006, 18:45

Space Marines with out a doubt they are far more superior in strength and they are better trained plus they live to kill any foe of the imperium and they fear failiure. Which also adds to their determination.

~Raven.
My Website
http://www.ravenstone.karoo.net
Some good places to add Your Fiction.
http://www.writingforums.org/
http://forum.blpublishing.com/

http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/

Due To Cut Backs The Light At The End Of The Tunnel Will Now Be Switched Off

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 01 Apr 2006, 09:07

It depends on whether we're talking Stormtroopers, or Storm Commandos and Space Troopers / Rad Troopers. I'm guessing that we're talking exclusively about what actually appears in the films, as opposed to WEG fluff for SW: 2nd Ed, so yeah, SMs all the way. The SoroSuub Stormtrooper 1 is no match for a good Mars Boltgun at your side, kid.... :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Apr 2006, 19:21

WEG? Never heard of it :D

But come on, Stormtroopers in the film had a corridor about 15 feet long and 6 feet wide and still managed to miss their targets :D

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 02 Apr 2006, 18:05

WEG = West End Games - SW: The RPG producers until WoTC acquired the license. In WEG SW there where a number of different and much better trained versions of Stormtroopers who performed extremely specific mission roles - Spacetroopers and Radtroopers being key examples.

Stormtroopers in the film had to cope with Hero AuraTM - of course they couldn't hit anything! Look at the first fight with the Rebels onboard the Tantive IV - they kicked those Rebel's asses, and they had the Rebels licked at Hoth too...we're not going to talk about Jedi.... :oops:
Last edited by Simguinus on 04 Apr 2006, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 02 Apr 2006, 20:56

I have to say this though Space Marines would win out,and if it was a Fleet Battle again Space marines would win,the onlt ship that can mtach the size of any Space Marine or Imperial Navy ship would be the Super Star Destroyer