IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

I am Master of the Universe!.....

Postby IBBoard at 15 Oct 2005, 14:06

Or Linux and Windows XP networking at least.

Kind of.

Maybe.

A little.

What I mean is that I got my laptop working and sharing the internet connection with my desktop machine, so my g/f can play Sims on my desktop (the gaming machine) and I can still work on websites without hiding on her computer in our bedroom :) It took a while, and I think my laptop still won't ping to the desktop, but the internet is working which is all I care about :D

End of slightly random post.

[edit] OK, take two - and now it's working better :) a while after posting that, Windows decided to be 'intelligent' and try routing all Internet traffic through my network to my Laptop instead of out to the Net via my wireless! Apparently it has some settings that help it decide where to send traffic, so the only reason it randomly started working was because for that period of time it thought the 54MB wireless was faster than the 100/10MB ethernet.

I've got that fixed now and got a small app called AnalogX Proxy running so I'm network sharing again :) Yay! The Power!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

RE: I am Master of the Universe!.....

Postby TGSC at 15 Oct 2005, 17:25

well get on msn then :P

and congrats on passing your theory:D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: I am Master of the Universe!.....

Postby IBBoard at 15 Oct 2005, 17:46

Hopefully MSN will work - the net has actually started playing up on my laptop and converting domains into random other domains (normally Google, but it seems to have stopped that now).

At one point I read a SlashDot article, so tried SlashDot.org and it worked. Then I tried whatcounter.com and that worked, then forums.relicnews.com and it returned whatcounter, then forums.hiveworldterra.co.uk and it returned the Relic forums. HWT Forums are finally showing HWT forums, but I've had at least half an hour earlier where just about any URL was trying to fetch the page from Google and getting a 404, no matter what the domain was!

Who knows what it's doing!

[edit] All seems to be working on the HTTP side of things now *he says, hoping not to jix it* Audioscrobbler/Last.fm worked ok from your other post, but MSN won't work at the moment because I'm using AnalogX and I only turned on HTTP. I'll have to investigate whether I can set Gaim to use HTTP or whether I'll have to wait until Abi isn't playing Sims on my computer so I can change the proxy config :D

[edit] OK, it wasn't working, AnalogX seems to be screwed on my machine. I'm running FreeProxy now though and it seems to do a little bit more (full Socks5 from what I can tell), MSN runs over it and it can be left to run in the background as a service in XP :)

Not that I actually need all this now, since Abi is on her own computer at the moment, but it's good to know it works :D

And now to stop boring people with my junk on proxy servers and my Linux Laptop :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)