IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

IRA Decomissioning

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jul 2005, 07:52

Having recently watched Eddie Izzard's "Circle" show on DVD, I thought I'd post about the IRA decomissioning. Now in Eddie Izzard's sketch it involved a lot of "sign it and we'll take our hands off the guns", "take your hands off the guns and we'll sign it", "we only have our fingers on the guns, if you sign it we'll take our hands off the guns", "the pen is approaching the paper, take your hands off the guns and I'll sign it", "only our finger tips are on the f'ing guns, now sign the f'ing thing', '"I'm dripping the ink on the paper, but not making any words until you take your f'ing hands off the f'ing guns", "we've only got our finger nails on the f'ing guns...it's just nanometers until we take our hands off the guns, now just f'ing sign it", "if you take your hand all of the way off the gun, then I'll sign it", "it's only nanometers, my hand is very nearly off the gun, just sign.......oh, f' it, it's off" *IRA Eddie storms off*

And now we have the IRA actually promising to give up guns and just become politicians. Is anyone else hoping that no-one starts promising "peace in our time"? :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

RE: IRA Decomissioning

Postby TGSC at 03 Aug 2005, 22:03

I know alot of people are being cynical about it; the IRA have declared and broken ceasefires in the past, but I think its a major step forwards. They have stated outright "this is the end of the war" and they're going to dump weapons witnessed by catholic and proddy clergy (although not political witnesses some wanted)

The DUP and some of the other unionists, Paisley etc were always saying that they wouldn't go into talks unless the IRA promised to totally decommision, and now they have, the ball's in their court.

I think its partly because its got to the stage that its only the hardcore die-hards that actually think that the campaigns could actually force the brits out, but also they're beginning to realise that there are terrorist groups out there who don't ring up an hour or so before hand to allow the bomb squad to get there in time.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: IRA Decomissioning

Postby IBBoard at 04 Aug 2005, 07:46

Yeah, we're kind of used to terrorists now, but only our local friendly terrorists who ring up the Samaritans with a code word and give us a bit of warning! They probably are realising, in part, that there are some terrorist organisations out there who do things a lot differently, who go beyond what they'd ever do, but who get far more attention now than they do. It's good to see the IRA moving to democracy, but I get a feeling there might still be some intimidation etc and that there will still be rogue die-hards who believe the main group are wussy British sell outs
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)