IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

London Terrorist Attacks

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jul 2005, 18:17

I'm not normally one to post about these kinds of incidents (generally because people get too heated about them and want to kill too many people who they associate with the act, despite the fact that its just a stereotype that they hold) but I think this post has to be made.

Today, during rush hour, London was attacked in a group of terrorist attacks (four bombs, mainly on the Underground system, I think). But in spite of all of the carnage, a photo that perfectly depicts the London spirit has emerged:

Londoner is ready to get back on the Tube

I think it just says something about the London people that they didn't panic, that some people volunteered to help where they could, and that this one person (who is now probably quite famous across the net) appears to be ready with his paper and Underground ticket to go back on the train system that has just been attacked.

To be honest, this probably isn't as big a worry to the British as it could be to some nations. We've had the IRA who gave a warning first, but who still blew up buildings and caused destruction. Now we've got something more dangerous, from people who are more fanatical, but if things stay as I think they will, the British people will stay strong and we will not be affected too much by the attack.

If the link goes down at any point (and NBC pull the article) just tell me and I'll post my screenshot of the pic.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: London Terrorist Attacks

Postby SisterHelios at 08 Jul 2005, 01:51

God Bless London and those that had fallen in that attack,and my heart gos out to those who lost loved ones.
And may God have Mercy on the ones who did this,London i know will not and neither will the United States as we support our Brothers and Sisters in London.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 08 Jul 2005, 21:19

I had no clue about this til my mum came in from work and told me, I hadn't seen any news or anything, it was such a shock. Its amazing how it was delt with so well by the emergency services and the public, the exercises obviously work. I was also glad to here a defence advisor saying that ID cards wouldn't have really protected against this.

P.S., the photo has changed now I think

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 Jul 2005, 17:25

Yeah, they have - it's now (at time of posting!) at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8496591/dis ... ar1/btn_17

And on a very marginally related note, we had a bomb scare at Manchester Piccadilly train station on Saturday. Just as I arrived at my new flat (probably no more than 100 meters from the station) they were finishing emptying people out. Apparently the 'package' on the train ended up being some poor kid's box of Lego that had been left behind!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)