At Last-back to war

Librarian Rannos

At Last-back to war

Postby Librarian Rannos at 17 Jun 2005, 11:58

Schools out!No more math or ancient greek!Wohoo!

And as Mel Gimbson said in Braveheart:

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

RE: At Last-back to war

Postby TGSC at 17 Jun 2005, 23:06

University student here, I finished a week ago and I've got another three months off :D :P, also interesting doing ancient Greek, although you are greek so its understandable. One of my friends does bible studies and they have to learn a bit of ancient Greek and Hebrew, history students have to learn basic Old and Middle english (about 800-1000AD or something).

Don't suppose you know much about ancient Greek/pre-Greek mythology do you? Someone at Uni was saying not only are alot of the Old Testament stories very similar to early Greek/Roman/earlier myths, but that major points in Jesus' life (like the last supper) were similar as well.

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 18 Jun 2005, 01:03

First of all what's Old Testament?[I might know what it is in my language].And I'm not an italian so I don't know much about Roman myths.Plus what do you mean "pre-greek"?About what age?[many people tend to missunderstand the pre-greek period].But there are some small points in jesus' life that happened to greek myths however with different order and meaning.For example Jesus vanquished death.So did Hercules when he returned from Hades-he was the only man who returned alive from there-he and some others which I can't translate their names.What "facts" are similar with Cristian religion and greek myths are things which happened before Jesus.Don't forget that Jesus lived during the roman period so while you may find common things between the Roman myths and Cristian religion [or CR for this post] it is almost sure that the only common points you'll detect between CR and Greek myths are physical catastrophies or other major events that took place before Jesus decended to our realm-of humans.Now if I have translated something wrong I DO NOT MEAN ANY DISSRESPECT TOWARDS THE CR.Simply my english aren't that good...

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 18 Jun 2005, 12:26

The Old Testament is the books of the bible that don't deal with Jesus life, from Genesis to Chronicles. It's about the same as the Jewish Tanakh, Wikipedia says the Greek is Η Παλαια Διαθηκη. (Artcile in Greek, I think).

My Greek history is a little unclear but by pre-Greek I mean before Ancient Greece was established, before 800BC (is that pre-Hellenistic?Article). By pre-Greek myths I meant any myths that came before what is usually considered to be "Greek Myths", i.e. the Titans, the Olympians and Heroes of the Illiyad, the Oddesey (are they spelt right?).

I know things such as the creation story of Genesis and the great flood mirror similar events in ancient myths, and that beleifs such as the trinity are present in several religions, but I was under the impression that events of Christs life (family history, birth, major events in his life) mirrored ancient myths.

After a bit of searching on the internet, I managed to find this

# Miraculous feeding The story of the multiplication of food had already been ascribed to prophet Elisha in II Kings 6.
# Raising from the dead. In 1 Kings 17 Eliyah raises the only son of a widow from the dead. The incident is copied in Luke 7 when Jesus raises up the only son of a widow near the gate of the city of Nain. However, archeological research has shown that the city had no wall, nor gates.
# In 1 Kings 13 king Jeroboam's hand dries up when he stretches it out to 'a man of God', but the latter restores it again. This miraculous healing of a withered hand is repeated in Matthew 12:13 by Jesus.
# Stories attributed to other gods and revered persons:

* The miracle of water turning into wine was once related to have taken place at the wedding of Dionysus and Ariadne.
* Miraculously curing the sick and raising the dead was already ascribed to Asclepius.
* Iamblichus claimed that Pythagoras performed innumerable miracles such as calming the waves of rivers and seas in order that his disciples might pass over them. He also helped them to a large catch of fish like Jesus did.
* Appolonius of Tyana is said to have had the same powers. He brought back to life the daughter of a Roman consul in the way as Jesus did for the daughter of Jairus.
* Appolonius is also said to have performed the same miracle as the 'feeding of the five thousand'.
* The story of Jesus exorcizing a man of 2000 demons casting them in a herd of pigs has a parallel in the rites of the mysteries at Eleusis. For purification some 2000 initiates bathed in the sea with young pigs. This ritual bathing banashed all evil into the pigs, which were then sacrificed by chasing them over a crevice.
* The Pentecostal miracle of speaking in tongues was reported centuries earlier. At Trophonius and Delos priestesses were heard uttering glossolalia. And that was certainly not the only instance in history of this phenomenon.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/christmyth.html

I'm really not sure how reliable it is or where the information comes from. Alot of websites have pointed out that practices such as baptism are common in lots of religions, but that doesn't mean alot.

The only example I can remember from my friend is really unclear and I'm not sure about it: The eucharist (the bread/body and wine/blood of Christ, the Last Supper) which apparently mirrored a myth involving some kind of bird feeding twelve others, I think it featured on a painting of Christ being crucified as well.

Apologies if this all seems a little vague and unclear, I'll have to talk to my friend again.

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 18 Jun 2005, 17:45

Apologies accepted.However we'll continue this subject sometime but not now-not when I've just finished school.All I want now is to speak for WH 40k....

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 19 Jun 2005, 20:38

Hehe, thought you might not appriciate questions about Greek history just after you have finished for summer :D

I'm busy painting up my Orc and Goblin army, I'm going to get back into WHFB when I go back to University, just bought one of the new squig herders off ebay and I'm giving my old plastic Black Orcs some extra armour with green stuff.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jun 2005, 12:34

There was me thinking that it'd only be images that caused problems with the width of the forums!

But I'm glad you're all finished - I've got another three weeks working and then I break until Uni starts again in late September :) just wish the three weeks would go faster :\
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)