Getting Started Again/uni Gaming Soc

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

RE: Getting Started Again/uni Gaming Soc

Postby TGSC at 16 May 2005, 12:33

I've been talking to my mate in halls, he plays Magic the Gathering and stuff like that but he's got into warhammer, just painting up some dark elves. They have a Uni Wargames Soc that had a 5vs5 battle the other day, I didn't go down but I feel drawn back to at least getting a coherant army painted up. What with a four month holiday coming up, I think I might have lots of spare time, I feel like getting involved again.

Also, he has a compartmented foam thing like the GW hardcases but its a snazzy over the shoulder bag arrangement, its quite cool. Got it from a shop in town I might check out. And you dont get people asking you to see all the models on the bus on the way in (memories of Thursday gaming in Bolton :D)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 May 2005, 20:47

Cool :) I'm hopefully going to get back into it when I move back up to Manchester - Bracknell is a little far out of Reading with the trains they run to bother going to the gaming club there. Looking at flats near UMIST now, so it'll be nice and central if I want to game at the Manchester store!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 17 May 2005, 22:19

Yay! The shop is really good, they have second hand figures cheap, some of them are already glued and painted but the metal ones can always be stripped down, and some of them aren't even painted or assembled (some in the boxes still). He has bargin boxes with single plastic models in at 50p each, great for bits box stuff :clap:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 18 May 2005, 07:26

Cool, bits box is always the hardest to get - you always want a bit that only comes on a sprue for a fiver or something :D makes me wonder how much money some of these staff members spend on their conversions, or what kind of discounts they get (other than the "buy the metal part, get the plastic parts free" that one of my friends used to get a dirt cheap pack of about 20 Dire Wolves!)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 18 May 2005, 13:24

I got you the Rogue Trader book by the way, £12. Its got pictures of slaan troops in it, they look like humanoid size/shape frogs. I'll host some pics when I can be arsed to take them.

Also got the Orc and Goblin army book (£8), it looks familiar but I think it might be cos I've seen it in shops. I wanna go and paint things now though :(

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 18 May 2005, 18:17

don't tell me - it's all the other side of the Pennines? And cool :) I'll have to pay you when you get back home. Think I've seen one of the old Slaan models in a mag before, and yeah, they look more large-skin/frog than the big bloated uber-powerful wizards.

I like some of the old books - some really good background in them, although then again the new versions are greatly expanding no things. Don't suppose he had the early Chaos books too :D can't think what they were called, think one was the something and the damned (I'm thinking dead at the moment, but I might be wrong)