Accomodation Services Threaten On The Spot Fines

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

RE: Accomodation Services Threaten On The Spot Fines

Postby TGSC at 14 May 2005, 13:11

We had an email round recently from the Halls of Residence warden saying we weren't allowed to have BBQ's (fair enough) play football (hmmm) or frisbee (wtf?) in any residence grounds. Which I thought was a little excessive.

The email then says anyone who does this will be subject to an on the spot £50 fine. Which I get the feeling under UK law they probably can't do, but I checked the University statutes and it says that misconduct (which includes breach of residence contracts) has to go through disciplinary procedures anyway before they can impose any punishment, including a fine.

So I emailed them and asked them to clarify their claim, interesting to see the reply I get.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 May 2005, 13:22

Things like that are usually just a threat to try to stop things happening - they probably would end up having to go through disiplinary action. I'd like to see a student who could pay an on the spot £50 fine as well :D
The frisbee and football is probably just to stop broken windows and trampled flower beds, though
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 14 May 2005, 16:53

Ugh, we've just been given greasy horrible food. Pizza from the local pizza shop and a little cardboard carton of chips, tiny carton of orange and an ice cream.

We were told at dinner to make sure we had our meal cards ready cos it was a special set meal but that was appaling :angry: There was no cutlery or anything. Apparently it was "because its the summer festival". Wtf? I didnt see the kitchen staff on the bouncy castle, whats wrong with what was on the menu? :angry:

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 14 May 2005, 23:29

Update on the fines, they were quite quick, apparently:

There are different procedures in regards to fines. It is within the powers
of the Warden to impose them, and, while some will follow interviews with
the warden, for certain offences these fines can be imposed 'on the spot',
if prior notice is given.

Hmmm. <_<

They gave me contact details for the Head of Accomodation Services but I don't think I'll push it any further.

<!--EDIT|TGSC|May 14 2005, 11:30 PM-->

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 May 2005, 12:07

Still seems like they shouldn't be able to do it.

lol at the off-topic rant though :D thats one reason why I avoided halls: much like school dinners, you can never trust the quality!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)