IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: What Media Player Do You Use?

Postby IBBoard at 06 Sep 2004, 12:31

Just wondering what media player people use. My entire day at work involves sitting and programming, so we're allowed headphones and music. All of the previous industrial experience students used iTunes and I had it recommended to me.

iTunes is great - it dos everything that WMP does and more! It has all the usual features plus useful things like cascading browsing (so you can see all the artists in a genre and then all of the albums you have for that artist - similar to the iPod interface, but all on the screen at once) and you get a "Party Shuffle" which shows you the last 5 songs and the next 10 by default - always useful so that you can get a random order but don't have to constantly keep skipping tracks, just remove them from the list!

So what do you use and why isn't it iTunes? (its available from the Apple website with a Windows version)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 07 Sep 2004, 13:44

does this audio do-watsits scribbler work with itunes?

mghit try them out

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 07 Sep 2004, 14:37

gah, keyboard dyslexia again

tried out itunes and nothing really jumps out at me for being great, think I'll stick to Media Player. Got that audioscrobbler tho - tgsc

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Sep 2004, 16:19

I just prefer it cos its more of a usability-based MP3/music player and less of a lets-fit-as-much-in-as-we-can media player. Sharing on the network is a useful feature, although remember to only do this so that you can access it cos otherwise its illegal (they give you a popup to tell you!)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Logan_Grimnar

Postby Logan_Grimnar at 09 Sep 2004, 21:18

I had an older version of WMP that came with windows 98 (think it was version 4.0, but dont quote me on that). A couple of months ago i downloaded the latest version, and i really wish i hadnt. OK, my computer is really slow anyway (its only a 233), but every time i switch tracks on WMP, it stops the computer for about 10 seconds whilst it loads the track in, and its really annoying. Recently, i've started using Creative Mediasource Player, a nifty little media player/organiser that came with my mp3 player, as it has all of the same functions as WMP (well, all the functions that i use, anyway), without taking up the same amount of resources.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 09 Nov 2004, 19:39

The Emperor wrote:I just prefer it cos its more of a usability-based MP3/music player and less of a lets-fit-as-much-in-as-we-can media player. Sharing on the network is a useful feature, although remember to only do this so that you can access it cos otherwise its illegal (they give you a popup to tell you!)

I'm using iTunes now as it lets me listen to everyone elses music as well. The uni sent us an email saying not to copy or distrubute copyright material but I'm not sure what their views on streaming are, I presume theyll frown on it.

I dont remember any popup tho, only on my tunes redux

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Nov 2004, 21:05

I think it was when you enable sharing of your library - it warns you about legalities, but its just a check box to say "yeah, ok"