IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Outlawing Cd Writers?

Postby IBBoard at 20 Aug 2004, 07:06

Just a news report I found (well, a commentary on a news report).

...the Induce Act that would circumvent today's ruling and make any software or technology that aids copyright infringement illegal.

Now this is in America, but one of my friends at Uni (who was doing summer work for GCHQ) said at one point that we already have a similar law over here. Now is it stupid or what - any technology, so that means CD Writers (obvious source), floppy disks (older, but still breaches for copyright images on them), Hard Disks, printers (illegally printing copyright material!), monitors (technically a breach of copyright!), modems (allow for transmission of information, which is technically a breach - viewing, copying or transmitting if I remember my Professional Issues lectures correctly) - basically anything that is part of a computer should, to the strictest letter of the legislation, be banned!

You can always rely on a government to do something stupid!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 26 Aug 2004, 21:29

The software that comes with my minidisc stops you from copying one song onto more than 3 discs at once and you can only copy music off the disc onto the computer it was copied from in the first place

this is supposed to protect copyright, but if the cd id copyrighted your not supposed to be putting it on MD in the first place

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Aug 2004, 15:29

yeah, I think it that case "protect copyright" is more a case of "reduce the impact and actually have a use for our equipment"
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)