Md Or Mp3

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

RE: Md Or Mp3

Postby TGSC at 20 Jul 2004, 21:34

Mu CD player is getting a bit knackered and I'm feeling its weight now all the MP3 players and ipods are kicking around, however I am also tempted in the direction of MiniDisc.

I've found that for the same price as a longplay MiniDisc recorder/player which can do 320 mins I can only get about a 128/256Mb MP3 player. I know I can use lower bitrates but I'd rather not go too low and I dont know what the players can handle, also I like the ability to change MDs as you do CDs rather than writing over the MP3s every time I want to change songs

My max price is about £100, any suggestions?

What has anyone else got, list price, features, pros/cons etc

Bap

Postby Bap at 23 Jul 2004, 17:27

I have a Mini Disk player, love it and take it every where :P

I have a Sony MZ-N505:

EDIT: Thats the colour I have for it as welll just incase you wanted to know about the colour :P lol

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Jul 2004, 15:10

A quick scan shows that Dabs have a DabsValue MP3 player at £71 for 512MB.
Personally I'd rather have MP3 - it'd be much quicker to change the MP3s than record new MiniDiscs (I think).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Bap

Postby Bap at 30 Jul 2004, 16:51

Just the same speed mate. Both converts the songs over through USB. I prefer Mini Disks because then you can have several disks with diffrent songs on where as MP3 you have the fuss of forever chaning it to store new songs and deleting ones that you dont have the space for any more. MD's aare pretty cheap holds 80 mins+ and are small enough for pocket. I love my MD :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Aug 2004, 20:14

OK, just thought I remembered someone at Uni saying about having to wait for ages for it to 'record' instead of a file transfer thing. Personally I'd probably still stick with MP3 players - dunno why, just always seen Mini-Discs as a real go-no-where dead-end kinda market that you don't hear much of.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 05 Aug 2004, 21:33

might get that mp3 player, it looks good

and on the minidisc recording issue, if you have netMD you can drag over usb which is quick, but otherwise you have to record from your stereo

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Aug 2004, 17:42

Ah, k, thought there might be something like that. I'm not sure, but I get the feeling that if you choose the right MP3 player then you might be ablt to upgrade the storage at a later date.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 27 Aug 2004, 10:48

when I looked at the MP3 player's reviews they all said the major problem was that you cant control the order it plays the tracks in, no matter which order you put them on it goes entirely random

I got a NetMD-LP instead, its the dog's sweaty bits

MD MZ-N10 - 10th anniversary edition

NetMD - USB connection to computer 5 mins transfer in 5 secs
MD-LP 320mins on a 80min disc
Optical cable (unfortunately I havent got anything with an optical socket)
Nice cradle for charging and transfer
Leather case
Inline remote
Built in battery and add on AA battery pack, total life - 40odd hours

Managers special in argos, £99.99, brand new its £200+ :clap:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Aug 2004, 15:31

Not bad - a little more impressive than my old CD-MP3 player :D
40hrs of battery life? must be nice to have more than the 10 I get with super-super-long life batteries :D

Logan_Grimnar

Postby Logan_Grimnar at 05 Sep 2004, 18:40

TGSC wrote:when I looked at the MP3 player's reviews they all said the major problem was that you cant control the order it plays the tracks in, no matter which order you put them on it goes entirely random

I have to disagree there. I can't speak for other mp3 players, but both my Cd-mp3 player and my mp3 player put the tracks in alphabetical order. You can also put the tracks into different folders if you want, so you can group them how you want. You can make it play them randomly if you want, as with most digital music devices, there are many different ways of playing back your playlist.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 05 Sep 2004, 21:02

Logan_Grimnar wrote:
TGSC wrote:when I looked at the MP3 player's reviews they all said the major problem was that you cant control the order it plays the tracks in, no matter which order you put them on it goes entirely random

I have to disagree there. I can't speak for other mp3 players

its just that one, my memory stick pkayed them in alphabetical but that apparently is permanently on random

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Sep 2004, 08:04

yeah, my CD MP3 player worked on a folder/album basis and then played through alphabetically (thank god for CD rippers that put track numbers at the start!) but it had random too. Its a little old with bad battery usage nowadays. Wonder whether I should get a small iPod or something.... :)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 07 Sep 2004, 14:41

I like my MD, the batteries seem to be those ones that charge up when not in use somehow, the battery was on 1, left it for a while, now its on 2

Logan_Grimnar

Postby Logan_Grimnar at 09 Sep 2004, 21:11

somehow i dont think batteries can recharge themselves!!

however with most electrical devices, if the batteries run flat, if you leave them for a bit then try them again, they'll usually run a bit longer. Its probably just the acid inside them re-settling or whatever.

Once my battrey run flat in my mp3 player, and i left it for a bit n tried again n it ran for another half hour!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Sep 2004, 11:41

Think part of it is heat as well - you let them cool down and the chemicals can work better again. Or something more technical than that - never was a chemist!