IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Bowling For Columbine

Postby IBBoard at 06 Dec 2003, 20:11

In less than an hour "Bowling for Columbine" is on Channel4. Don't know how many other people are interested, but it looks good. Its by Michael Moore - the guy who wrote "Dude where's my nation" and the previous book I can't remember the title of, both of which examine some of the oddities and things you should worry about in America, such as how one of the Bush clan (who was governor of California) removed lots of people from the electoral role because they had similar names to known criminals!
The film is all about America's obesession with guns and its general gun culture - including one guy whose excuse is "the pen is mighter than the sword, but when the pen breaks you need a sword to defend yourself" and when asked about Ghandi (or is it Gandhi?) and how he managed to rebel without violence replies "who? I've never heard of him"
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Dec 2003, 22:08

Ooooh, forgot to post until now - sorry :) (yes, all one other possible person who viewed this!)
It was quite a good film in then end - well, more a over-grown documentary. Some good points in it, very interesting and almost as good as his book. I definately liked the clip from the metal detector company's promotional video where the kid manages to get at least 6 pistols, an Uni and a rifle of some sort from out of his pants pocket, stuck in his belt and a rifle down the back of his touser leg! It's Matrix on a school level :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Bap

Postby Bap at 04 Jan 2004, 11:39

I tried to watch it just got too damn bored.

Warmaster Horus

Postby Warmaster Horus at 04 Jan 2004, 19:01

The Emperor wrote:I definately liked the clip from the metal detector company's promotional video where the kid manages to get at least 6 pistols, an Uni and a rifle of some sort from out of his pants pocket,

how'd he fit a whole university in his jeans? it must havebeen bangor or somewhere

definately a left wing liberal film, alot of it stretches the truth a little but it makes you think

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jan 2004, 20:02

A month after the original post and we get replies! :D
Meh, maybe a few truths were stretched (Horus, you've got the website somewhere, or at least you had it) but its a political thing so its never likely to be fully truthful!

Anny

Postby Anny at 06 Jan 2004, 20:15

(Bit late but, i only just joined) Damn! i meant to watch that, must have been at my gaming club or something, the adverts for it looked cool. Damn my stupidity in not being able to work a video recorder :P

edit: spelling mistakes (edited now)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Jan 2004, 20:29

*looks at calendar* looks like it was a Saturday night. It was more of a documentary than a film, but it was still funny - especially with the liberal/British view point I have :D

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 29 Jun 2004, 13:37

What did anyone think of the books?

I thought stupid white men was good but alot of it had been said in the film. Was a bit dissapointed in dude, where's my country tho, that wasnt as sharp

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jun 2004, 21:30

Yeah, I read White Men but gave up on Dude cos it was a little old, boring and more obviously pointed and less "here is whats wrong"