IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Psychics And Mediums

Postby IBBoard at 24 Aug 2003, 15:59

I was watching the "Psychic Night" on Channel 4 last night and wondered what other people thought. If we get someone who doesn't agree with my views, we can move this into debates, but I get the feeling most people will hold similar views (like usual)
Anyway, these psychics who claimed to be in contact with the dead seemed either misguidded (ie the woman who sat a tape recorder in a tin can, left the room and then came back 5 minutes later and heard "its Horace" in the white noise, and said that it was obvious to anyone that the voice said it) or else they are so damned general that it covers anyone (ie the person mentioning the "John and Michael" and the heart condition and the split in the family - allof which can be interpreted into my family at the moment, apart from the fact that no one has died of the heart condition, or the actor who really conned the coloured guy into thinking that he was a real psychic by using his own lif - things like "you've just met someone who you haven't seen for a long time". The guy had, so he felt it was true, the actor said that if he hadn't, then he'd have just said "well you're going to")
Somethings are difficult to explain, but the mahority of things are very obvious/general IMO. And then when people 'believe', get a psychic reading, shake their heads for 30-50% of what the person says, then nod for other bits, and say that it was "spot on and entirely accurate" makes it just look like more and more rubbish.

What do other people believe?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 28 Jun 2004, 21:11

That darren brown thing on the ouija boards was good as well. He showed how some of it the medium was going into a sem-trance and really did not know what they had done and that alot of it was suggestibility.

Allthough I would have liked to see the participants faces when they saw the girl at the end

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jun 2004, 21:15

Yeah, that was a cool program. Shame they put it on so late, I would have liked to have rememberd to watch more!
Some of his things were a little obvious though. i.e. the terrified girl at the end. The steps: convince someone you are going to summon a ghost (make them susceptable to the idea it might happen), put them in a dark room on their own, leave them, tell them by radio that the ghost lived in the room they are in, when they ask for someone to get them out use phrases like "its ok, someone is coming to get you". Person then connects this with ghostly-ness, imagination races, they 'hear' bump and get terrified at ghost. Simple :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)