IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Moving to Twitter

Postby IBBoard at 27 Nov 2009, 21:12

I set up http://ibboard.co.uk/devlog/ using Laconica because it was free, open-source software that let me micro-blog (I wanted to post snippets about what I'd done, not essays and fully posts) and it would be under my control. I've not done much with that control, so I've finally started using my Twitter account (http://twitter.com/IBBoard).

If anyone else is on Twitter and wants to get updates about what I've done without looking at commit logs then please feel free to follow me.

Now I need to find someone useful to follow, rather than just being flooded with junk and miscellany about the minutiae of someone's life.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Re: Moving to Twitter

Postby NBKFuzzy at 28 Nov 2009, 20:35

I am sitting on the porch.

I am getting a cheeseburger.

I realized I like grape soda more than orange today.

What else do you want to hear online?! You must be crazy. :P
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Nov 2009, 11:46

If only some of it was that interesting :D I use an app called Gnome Do (Quicksilver/Spotlight for Linux, if you've seen a recent Mac) and thought I'd check out the feeds from the developers in case it gave you an inside story and hints of what is coming. These were accounts linked from the official app site, but some of them are better than others.

Turns out one of the Gnome Do dev feeds reads like a whiney teen with the odd inane comment thrown in. Examples include "You're a moron" (not @ed to anyone), "My leg went to sleep", "I think you should probably die" (again, not @ed to anyone) and "WTF who broke my record player?". Seriously, why? Who honestly cares about most of that?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 30 Nov 2009, 19:44

Heh. I never went along with social network sites until a recent facebook account. Twitter always seemed... silly.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Dec 2009, 17:16

It depends what you're using it for. Personally I prefer Twitter-esque sites (e.g. my old Dev Log, which is built on Laconica, which also powers identi.ca) for status update snippetsand brief "useful content here" pointers - the problem comes when people fill it full of drivel and minor inconsequential updates. Facebook and MySpace, on the other hand, seem to be longer amounts of drivel with photos of people getting drunk, which they then regret when future employers find them, as well as pointless apps and advertising and a whole slew of "join my group because it iz teh coolz".

That's just my impression as an outsider, though. I'm sure there's reasonble parts of all of the services, it's just that they're easier to find on things like LinkedIn (which is social networking for professionals) than on Facebook and Twitter :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Dec 2009, 19:48

Just a quick update. I've been Tweeting on Twitter for a while now and not updating the Devlog. I've started posting a few more general tweets (avoiding the mundane/trivial/egocentric where possible, but covering some tech areas of more general interest to me) so there's also a filtered feed available for those who only want my posts that mention WarFoundry.

One day I'll get round to turning the old Devlog in to a static archived copy...