Sky+ - now capable of recording more rubbish!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Sky+ - now capable of recording more rubbish!

Postby IBBoard at 30 Oct 2009, 19:36

We've just had our Sky box upgraded to a Sky+ today. For those who don't know, Sky is the main (only?) UK satellite subscription service. Sky+ is their special box that lets you pause and rewind live TV as well as recording things.

The plus side of having Sky+ is that we can record things we'd otherwise miss and start watching shows like House and Bones 15 minutes later then fast-forward through the adverts. The down side is that we're now capable of recording but the quality of the shows available hasn't improved!

Terrestrial TV is free but mainly rubbish. Satellite costs you, has more channels, but is still full of rubbish :D

Oh well, at least I'll be able to record BBC's Click and watch it rather than tending to miss it :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Re: Sky+ - now capable of recording more rubbish!

Postby NBKFuzzy at 31 Oct 2009, 02:30

Welcome to the modern era. Didn't think UK was just out of the 90's :P

It's generally called Tivo.
My muse is a fickle bitch, with a short attention span.

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 31 Oct 2009, 02:31

Oh.. and yeah, it is awesome.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 Oct 2009, 14:45

Except that TiVo are evil because they used open-source code but locked their player down so that you couldn't modify it ;) There have been similar things in the UK for decades, but they were called VCRs.

My parents have got a standard terrestrial and Freeview recorder, but Sky+ is about the only way to record stuff from satellite. Can't say I've particularly missed the ability to record TV in the past five years - 99% of it is junk or repeats anyway!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 31 Oct 2009, 20:34

Tivo lets me record pause rewind fast forward ect. anything from any source of TV. I currently have Direct TV which is satellite, getting about 9000 channels total because I am a consumer whore. That includes BBC1 and BBC3, not to mention BBCA which is the bestest BBC. (I lurv doctor who!)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Nov 2009, 11:50

All of the general PVRs/DVRs I've seen do that as well, but none of them control satellite as well (unless it is Freesat).

So far the thing we've recorded most often is Waybuloo because my son finds the Piplings funny but we don't let him watch the "bedtime hour" on CBeebies when they show it :D That and we used the "live pause" on the Formula One qualifying so that we could make lunch and answer phone calls without missing anything. Not exactly anything we desperately had to have, but we did manage to get it completely free in the end.

NBKFuzzy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

68%

Postby NBKFuzzy at 01 Nov 2009, 22:32

I record Doctor Who, but its in production right now. Probably wont be in America until a friggen year after UK, so I will just watch it through the internets.

David256
Grot
Grot
Progress to next rank:

53%

Postby David256 at 18 Jun 2010, 17:42

Oh yea we have that in Belgium as well xD, it's just got another name for it haha

House M.d. is more my sort of program though ^^
----------

Time te get stuck in boyz!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Jun 2010, 14:37

We're actually making reasonable use of it at the moment. I tend to put lots of films on to record to watch later, but then we either don't get round to them or we start to watch them and realise that there's a reason they're on SyFy and that we've not header of them to rent them!

Recording TV on commercial channels (like House on Sky 1) and starting to watch it 15 minutes after its start so that you end at the same time but can fast-forward the adverts is definitely the way to go! That and pausing the TV (e.g. the Formula One) when you want a drink or you've got to chase after the toddler who decided he doesn't want to carry on playing in the same room any more :D