IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Cool new desktop

Postby IBBoard at 04 Oct 2008, 11:04

On my desktop I run Fedora Linux (currently Fedora 9), so I'm keeping an eye on the release of Fedora 10 (a lot of distros do a release every 6 months).

Since F10 is now at the beta stage, I decided to check out what the new theme was going to be for the next release. The winning theme is interesting enough, and probably more suitable for a general use desktop, but I must prefer the second place theme - some nice shades of blue, nothing too obtrusive, and a really cool katana on the side! I actually cropped down a larger version, as I normally have an inch or so of monitor on the right that isn't used by most windows and the default position left the sword hidden by the windows :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Raze
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Re: Cool new desktop

Postby Raze at 19 Jan 2009, 02:01

Interesting stuff mate.

Those Solar pictures look fantastic.

I am currently learning Linux, starting with Ubuntu at the moment then work my way around to the others.

Currently using Vista as a main OS at the moment, here's hoping they will keep the support when Windows 7 arrives, as it sure needs it.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jan 2009, 19:29

They're still supporting XP (just!) so Vista will have support for a while yet. Some parts of Vista aren't too bad, but I wouldn't get a computer with it on. That said I don't tend to buy whole computers, I build my own rig and then upgrade parts :)

I've not had Windows installed on my PC for three years or more now, although I've still got an XP "virtual machine" because of my .Net software development.

I'm still using Fedora and the Solar desktop at work, but at home I've moved to openSUSE and one of their default backgrounds (it's actually a copy of this transitioning desktop, but caught mid-way through a transition where it's a nicer and more subtle shade). If you've got any problems then the Ubuntu forums seem to be helpful, but I'll help where I can.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jun 2009, 08:52

Being slightly fickle, I've recently changed my desktop again. I'm now using Arcane Grunge (transparent) with a horizontal gradient of dark green to light green. The horizontal gradient keeps the right-hand side nice and light while not washing out the bottom-left corner. It isn't right right dimensions for my monitor (I don't use widescreen at home) but it still fits quite well when zoomed :)