Hi from me

t1983
2nd Year Cadet
2nd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

50%

Hi from me

Postby t1983 at 10 Sep 2008, 20:00

Just thought i would say hello. I've been collecting on and off since the days hero quest.
I've collected many armies, such as guard, chaos marines and elder. Now i have started a space marine army, which after the years that i have been involved with the hobby is the first time that i've painted a marine since about 95.
Not sure what chapter to paint them as and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or knows of any sites that show chapter colours in good detail?
I really dont want to just jump in with a boring ultramarine or blood angel type chapter but have test painted a few models to see what they look like.

so if anyone knows of any cool chapter colours or of any good chapters with interesting histories then please let me know.

Bap
Skavenslave
Skavenslave
Progress to next rank:

27%

Re: Hi from me

Postby Bap at 11 Sep 2008, 16:22

Heylo! Welcome to the forum :) Enjoy yourself!!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 11 Sep 2008, 17:55

Welcome.

Hero Quest puts it back a bit. The first game I saw that let me see the world of miniature fantasy wargaming was Hero Quest, then I saw the Games Workshop logo and then a Games Workshop store.

If you've not been painting since 1995 then you'll notice some changes to 40K (unless you saw them during your "on" periods). Mainly it's now grittier and darker than 2nd edition and simpler to play. More models have made it to plastic, but prices are no cheaper because of it. The Ultramarines aren't quite as bad as they once were - they've got a bit more character now - but they're still the newbie's chapter of choice.

Have you tried the Games Workshop Chapter Gallery? The photos aren't great, but I think it's about the best reference you'll get in terms of the official chapters. Some places have their own version using something akin to screenshots of the interactive Marine painter, but they're not as good as seeing real models.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

t1983
2nd Year Cadet
2nd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

50%

Postby t1983 at 11 Sep 2008, 18:49

i've checked out the GW site and various other sites with regards to chapter colours but just can't find anything that grabs me.
I may just crack on and do my own chapter but the problem is that i mix up a load of paints to get the right sort of colours and then manage to lose the guide that i made for myself. So then you get a great first batch of models and then everyother batch are slightly different shades.
The reason why i had'nt painted a marine since 95 was because i found them very boring and preferred something different. So from that time i collected an elder army which i enjoyed... for a while. They got boring too. Then i moved on to guard which are by far the most enjoyable models to paint.
Also during that time i played alot of necromunda. It would be great if GW brought out a box set again for that system. Its all well and good that you can download the rules from the website and still buy the models, but it would be nice to see it back in the stores.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Sep 2008, 12:12

They're never going to move the side-line games in to stores. Anything that takes shelf space away from the two main games and the franchise (WH, W40K and LotR) is a bad thing for them.

They do have a Bloodbowl box still available, but I guess the 'terrain' is more important in that. For Necromunda they probably expect you to scratch-build it or but some of their 40K scenery

I never actually played Necromunda, although it was always one game that I liked the look of. I did play a bit of Mordheim and the smaller scale focus was definitely interesting and easier to work with, but I just never had enough interesting scenery! If I ever get back in to the hobby to play then I think it might be more along the lines of Necromunda or Mordheim or Bloodbowl or something similar (although I do like my Orks!)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

t1983
2nd Year Cadet
2nd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

50%

Postby t1983 at 12 Sep 2008, 18:48

I think by far Necromunda was the most satisfying game to play that GW ever released...in my opinion.
The rules were easy to pick up and at the time GW always had something going on in store with the game so it was great to pop in and play a game or 6!
I know that you could, and still can do that, with 40k and WH but that always took alot longer to set up and get going. And of course the rules were a litte harder back then for those systems compeared to todays editions so it felt like there was no "get up and go".
I still have my necromunda boxed game and used to think how cool and realistic the scenary that came with it was, but recently looking through it I can just see how cheap it looks compeared to the citys of death scenary, which looks amazing.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Sep 2008, 13:57

It will look comparatively cheap and tacky, just like the Gorkamorka fortress and the Mordheim buildings (although the detail on them was actually quite good), but given the choice of the amount of scenery they gave you in the Necromunda box supplemented with some home-built bits and the price of the new plastic scenery to cover the same area then I think I'd manage to have perfectly good games with the Necromunda/scratch-built stuff :)

I think we're getting a bit off-topic, though. If we're going to get in to Necromunda and gaming then lets move it to the right forum and keep this as a welcome post.