goin' back to school

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

goin' back to school

Postby Sanguinius at 17 Aug 2008, 09:11

i'm sorry everyone, but tomarrow (a.k.a monday) im heading off for the tenth grade. ill try to post as much as possible, though, but i can make no promises. ill at least make posts on the weekends and on "off" days, im sure of that.
my youtube account is rapidfire544.
i try to post often but school is stopping me. =P

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: goin' back to school

Postby IBBoard at 17 Aug 2008, 09:51

School? Pah, that's short hours. Some of us work seven and a half hours a day and still manage to post at times ;)

Good luck and enjoy the 10th grade (whichever year that is)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 17 Aug 2008, 19:15

tenth grade is an extra grade for those who need more education after ninth grade.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Aug 2008, 20:08

Still doesn't mean anything to me, since "year ten" is the year you start your GCSEs (exams you take at 16) ;)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

Postby Sanguinius at 17 Aug 2008, 21:30

i need all the education I can get for what i'm "going" to be when I grow up. im going to be a good ol' video game designer, which is why I was talking so much about how bad designers are these days. I'm going to change that(or at least try....).

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 17 Aug 2008, 21:41

IBBoard, well for some people they begin GCSEs in "year eleven".

p.s: i will begin GCSEs at 17 (since im born before when you change class.

Bap
Skavenslave
Skavenslave
Progress to next rank:

27%

Postby Bap at 18 Aug 2008, 09:25

Sanguinius wrote:i'm sorry everyone, but tomarrow (a.k.a monday) im heading off for the tenth grade. ill try to post as much as possible, though, but i can make no promises. ill at least make posts on the weekends and on "off" days, im sure of that.

Oh well good luck with the new year!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Aug 2008, 12:30

Because of where my birthday falls I took most of my GCSEs the month before I turned 16, which is Year 11 in England. Wales is, I think, the same, but the Scottish Highers are slightly different because of the difference in starting time (year you turn five versus once you've turned five).

stfas: Hadn't heard of that before. Everyone I knew had been ~14 when they started their GCSEs in year 10 and ~16 when they finished them.

Sanguinius: Good luck with the career choice. Having been through one of the top CompSci Unis in Britain (apparently) I can honestly say that the more real-world useful skills are learnt outside of education. Your GCSE equivalents, A-Level equivalents and degree can definitely give you the help you need (and some skills you couldn't get on your own in areas such as advanced maths) but nothing is as useful as doing your own projects in your own time. It gives you both an interesting target to work towards (instead of the Mickey Mouse examples at Uni) and a good bit of proof for your skills and motivation.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 19 Aug 2008, 15:09

as tenth grade is really rare its not that surprising.

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

Postby Sanguinius at 19 Aug 2008, 19:27

thanks for your 'support' everyone. fortunatly, the first week or two of school(i guess so you get settled) is full of you doing nothing but introductinos, etc, etc, so i took some time off and designed 3 levels of centipede(a.k.a not centipede exactly, but something that looks alike to it and kin). it was not much fun 'cause it was like a test, so it has alot of bugs in it still. :oops: like, for instance, the 'final boss' moves extremly fast, so i couldn't finish the game....

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Aug 2008, 20:49

stfas: Grade 10 might be rare, but I don't know of anywhere that uses grades and does GCSEs.

Sanguinius: University is similar, although Fresher's Week involves more alcohol offers and drinking. I think that whenever you start somewhere new they take the first week or so to let you in slowly.

Bap
Skavenslave
Skavenslave
Progress to next rank:

27%

Postby Bap at 20 Aug 2008, 12:30

IBBoard wrote:stfas: Grade 10 might be rare, but I don't know of anywhere that uses grades and does GCSEs.

Sanguinius: University is similar, although Fresher's Week involves more alcohol offers and drinking. I think that whenever you start somewhere new they take the first week or so to let you in slowly.

Yeah then BAM!!! Work work work work work!!! :P lol

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Aug 2008, 18:56

Really? You worked all the time at Uni? Most people I talk to think Uni was easy because you got so much free time, especially compared to when you're working ;)

Bap
Skavenslave
Skavenslave
Progress to next rank:

27%

Postby Bap at 27 Aug 2008, 20:09

Lots of free time cause you were supposed to use it to actually work so really more like wasted time than free time :P But yeah plenty of work to do really especially when it came to the dissertation!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Aug 2008, 18:10

I never quite got the "for every hour in lectures do one (or two) hours of your own time". For one thing that would sometimes have meant a stupidly long week, especially including travel. For another, how do you manage to do two hours of work on a set of slides that could have been delivered in 15 minutes if the lecturer hadn't gone over the same thing again and again?

I guess it didn't help that I finished the first four or so week's worth of programming assignments in the first lab session :D

Next